Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Affixing things to brand new vinyl siding

bananastand
10 years ago

We just finally upgraded our awful, peeling paint T-111 siding to vinyl. It looks great! But, now I need to re-affix our house number plaque, and our hose reels. Because the siding is not a flat surface, I'm afraid to just drill into it and attach that way. I don't think they will lay flat.

How do people affix things to vinyl? Is there some trick I don't know or do I just drill in and hope for the best?

Comments (7)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Visit a buidling supply house they make mounting blocks for just about everything you can imagine for vinyl siding. DO NOT drill and attach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid America

• bananastand
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I asked about the mounting blocks at Menard's and found out they are supposed to be installed at the same time as the siding. They have a groove all around that the siding fits into. I think it would be difficult if not impossible to put one on after the fact.

Should I be upset that my contractor didn't just put them on to begin with? The hose reels were attached to the old siding, so he knew they were there.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Go to a building supply house not a box store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surface mounted blocks

• hendricus
    10 years ago

For mounting exterior fixtures on existing siding. Integrated cut-offs to adapt to all types of siding (including Dutch lap).

If you follow my link and click on the first picture you can see the cutouts for siding and this is the description.

Good advice to go to a building supply house if you can find one. You also have to know what to ask for because not much is on display. In our area Menards, Lowes and Home Depot are the building supply houses, the others have either retired or changed their setup.

• zagut
    10 years ago

Caulk is your friend when making holes in vinyl siding.

Not a ton but enough to seal the penetration.

• roof35
    10 years ago

OP: It's not impossible to install the mounting blocks after installation. In fact, it's quite easy.

The siding installer should have a tool known as a _siding zipper_. He would simply unzip the panels where mounting block is to be installed. Install mounting block, cut panels to fit around the block, hang the siding, zip the panels together, and finally install the snap ring for mounting block.