Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sequoia_2007

Adding Additional Fasteners To Joist Attached To CMU Wall

sequoia_2007
14 years ago

I am in the process of repairing some framing in our crawlspace due to mold and rot. I have replaced all the 2x6Âs in one section of the floor, but will retain the last one secured by Hilti pins to the CMU wall. The pressure treated joist appears to be in good shape except for some light mold, but the pins and washers are badly corroded. With the adjacent joist removed this would be a good time to add additional fasteners. What do you recommend? I was thinking of using ½" HDG wedge bolts. I could just drill a ½" hole straight through the 2x6 into the CMU wall. How far should I drill into the CMU wall? Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and consider my questions,

Howard

Comments (5)

• manhattan42
    14 years ago

See my last post in your other thread.

If you can add threaded rods through this 2x6 and through the CMUs completely, that would be the way to go.

Otherwise, consider re-installing the other half of this built up beam you removed...another 2x6...to the one shown then supporting this 2 2x6 built-up beam using several vertical columns from beam to concrete footing.

It would be my repair choice and one that would be simple, inexpensive and permanent.

• sequoia_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The other side of the grouted CMU wall is below grade under a garage slab. The two 2x6Âs you are seeing are being used to temporarily hold up the floor with jacks underneath. There is a very light load on this 6 foot length of 2x6 pressure treated joist and I thought it would be a good idea to add a few fasteners like 1/2" Simpson Strong Bolt Wedge Anchors.

• manhattan42
    14 years ago

Simpson nor other 'wedge bolt' type anchors are usually ever approved for use by most Building Codes.

Consult a design professional and your local Code office before proceeding.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"Simpson nor other 'wedge bolt' type anchors are usually ever approved for use by most Building Codes."

Since the installation already should have the code mandated fasteners, you can add more and use whatever you want.

Wedge bolt fasteners are routinely used in commercial work for anchoring pipes above drop ceilings.

As long as the CBU is grout filled expansion anchors will work fine.

• sequoia_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just got the phone with our building inspector. He gave his OK to use the 1/2" Simpson Strong Bolt Wedge Connectors.

Thank you to all those who responded and tried to help.