Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Need wood filler that will hold screws

I need to fill holes that have become too loose for their screws. Wood (actually pressed wood) is very shallow so just selecting wider screws will not work: wider becomes longer, and will stick out on the other side. I already have the widest short screws I can find, and they can't easily be trimmed off on the other side due to projecting parts.

I know most wood fillers are cosmetic and not meant to hold screws. I have some of that mixable water putty but have found it very difficult to use on a different project. Couldn't get it to stay in the hole, and then when dry, tightening the screw just pulled it all out again.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"wider screws will not work: wider becomes longer"

Wood screws are sold by shank diameter and length.

You can get larger diameters that are the same length.

Pieces of wood dowel glued into the holes can also be used.

Glue the dowel in (taper it first if needed), allow the glue to dry, then drill a new hole for the screw.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I saw some #16x1" wood screws 4sale on ebay last week. That's a short wide screw.
    Casey

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. That's the first one I've seen that specifies it will hold screws.

About the screw length: I should have been more specific : the wood is only a 1/4 " thick. There are few width options in that length. As a matter of fact, I've been using sheet metal screws, and cutting off the projecting tip afterward. I would use bolts, but the nut would get in the way of what goes on the other side.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"the wood is only a 1/4 " thick"

That would imply you need at least a 1/2 inch screw.

Not hard to get in a lot of sizes, from #4 (or smaller) all the way to #12.

It sounds m,ore like there is inadequate material for any screw to have adequate strength.
    The thickness of the material being fastened has little to no impact on the strength of the screw attachment, it is the substrate the screw is going into that determines how strong the attachment is.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Pressed wood, particle board is a sorry substrate for holding any fastener. You can drill out a larger area where you want to fasten and fill with a two part epoxy, pre drill and screw into that.

• doug_gb
    12 years ago

Autobody filler (bondo) may work. I've used it on commercial refrigerator door handles.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"You can drill out a larger area where you want to fasten and fill with a two part epoxy, pre drill and screw into that."

It is even better to instal a brass insert with machine screw threads in the inside and large knife type threads on the outside.

They are designed to provide extra strength in materials that by themselves do not hold screws well.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

What Brickeye said!

• inox
    12 years ago

Threaded wood inserts in several metals:

Here is a link that might be useful: McFeely's Threaded Insert Categories

• sdello
    12 years ago

What Brickeye said is probably the best solution.

However, I've had luck with sierraeast's method too.

Put some wooden matchstick (not the heads)or other small wood scraps into the hole, fill it with 5 minute epoxy (one that's compatible with wood), and let it set up. Drill some pilot holes and use the original screws.