Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Addition falling off?

Posted by junicb (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 13:29

I need a little help here - our 1911 home has an enclosed addition put on sometime in the 1930s. When we bought the home last winter, we could tell that there was some tilting happening away from the house; it looked like the previous owners had tried to tie the addition back to the main house with some steel cables!

Here is where it joins to main house (you can see the cables put up by the PO).
outside addition

Here is a close up of where the addition has pulled away from the wall of the main house. It's about enough that I could stick my hand in there. We don't know how long it has been like this, but we do know that it's gotten worse in the last 8 years (some new drywall was put up since then and the tape is buckling).
inside addition

Finally, here is one of the two support posts that the addition sits on. There had been a downspout pouring water right at its base (we have since corrected that).
addition post

We are finally getting around to dealing with this problem, but I'm unsure of who to call first. A general contractor? A foundation company?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Addition falling off?

It sounds like a settling foundation issue. Depending on the actual construction, this could be a job for a foundation company or a general contractor. If it were me, I'd call several of each to take a look. Then see who makes the most sense and, hopefully, has the best price. A structural engineer might need to be involved, too. That cable business is for the birds. Your solution will probably involve something like jacking up the structure, placement of one or more beams underneath, and pouring of adequate new foundations to support posts for the beams.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here