Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roof valley is leaking, are these shingles cut right?

Posted by zirconx (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 13:26

My 10 year old roof started leaking at one of the valleys today. It might have been leaking for a while but has never been so bad that we've noticed it. Today we got a hard, windy rain and water came through to the kitchen ceiling.

After reading about valley leaks, I understand the shingles need to be cut properly for everything to work right? All I read is a description, no pictures so I'm still not sure how they are supposed to be cut. I took some pictures, can anyone tell me if I'm correct with my assumptions?

I think this is how they are supposed to look, right?
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8194/shinglecutcorrect.jpg
I didn't find many that look like that.

Most are like this:
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/1508/shinglecutwrong1.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7971/shinglecutwrong2.jpg

Could this be the reason for my leak?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roof valley is leaking, are these shingles cut right?

You have a cut vslley and not a woven valley.

Cuts are more vulnerable to leaks.

In the woven the shingles continue all the way across the valley.

The cut could be a little narrower, but without a scale i the pictures it is hard to tell.

You might want to get some tar and stick down the edges a little better.

o

Thanks. I found a staple under a shingle that looked a little loose, so I tarred it and nailed it back down, and tarred some of the other shingles, too. Hopefully this will help.

o

You might try backing up a bit when you take a photo.

o

In your "shinglecutwrong1" photo, we'll cut that little triangle off. Removing those triangles is called "dubbing". Those pointy ends can help channel water further away from the open valley.

Not sure if this link I'm adding will lead to just the pdf, or if it will lead to the specific page. Regardless, check out page 64 of this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here