Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonija_gw

Garage door opener

sonija
15 years ago

I have a Craftsmen garage door opener and it is not opening. When we have the power on the chain will move back like it is opening but the door doesn't move.

sonahaaa@yahoo.com

Comments (9)

• GammyT
    15 years ago

Do a search at the main page for Craftsmen and Craftsman. Odds are you will find an answer because many folks complain about those openers.

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

If the chain is moving but the door isn't someone may have pulled down on the rope which puts the door in manual operation. Pull straight down on the rope and release it. Then raise the door until the two halves of the trolley meet and lock together. Let me know if this is actually your problem.

• sonija
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don ,

I am the one who pulled the rope because it wouldn't open last week and i had to get my daughter to school. Sorry. I went to and pulled the rope and raised the door, the two halves didn't lock together. It went through. I tried it a couple of times.
    sonija

• sdello
    15 years ago

There is a hinged piece with a spring that connects to the rope. When you pull the rope the hinged piece swings down and disengages from the opener. If you pull the rope towards the rear of the garage and you should see the piece at the end of the rope swing up a little. operate the door and it should mate with the trolley piece on the chain as it passes.

good luck

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

The little spring sdello refers to may have broken or fallen off. (not a normal happening) It pulls the part up to lock the two halves of the trolley together. If you pull the rope down and back towards the motor it will lock this part into the manual position. If you pull straight down and then release it will unlock this part. If this doesn't work you have either a bad trolley or a missing spring.

• sonija
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it. It is a normal happening for me to use the rope to open the garage door. Since the two haves didn't lock together something is definitely wrong there. I just tried it again and I could hear it trying to lock together. Do you know the price of a repair or should I just get another opener?
    Thank you again, sonija

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

If it were me I would call a few local repair shops and get estimates. Explain your problem and they should be able to give you a firm price. I don't know where you live but around here you would probably pay $125.00 for the part and labor.

• sonija
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much for all your help. I will do that. By the way I live 60 miles north of Los Angeles.
    sonija

• brianw67
    15 years ago

When I try to close my door it will go down different amounts but then stops. The lights go completly off and an amber light D14 flashes on the board. If I push on the side of the where the board is mounted the lights come back on but when I try to close the door it repeats the behavior. I assume that the system board has a short on it. Any other ideas?