Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this evidence of termites?

Posted by zirconx (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 11:50

I painted my wooden rail on the front of my house the other day. A few days later I noticed this pile of dark wood or droppings or something on it. Is this evidence of termites? (see pics) We just bought the house 12 months ago, and had a termite inspection done at that time.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3686/img4461lk6.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2007/img4462yj6.jpg

I live in the midwest, BTW.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this evidence of termites?

More likely carpenter ants. Termites usually build mud tunnels from the ground to the wood.

o

Looks like carpenter ants to me as well.

Spray those holes with pyrethrins (sp?)... that's what the expensive exterminator guy did. I could have done that.

o

I would take a sample along with your photos to a DIY pest control store - they can look at it under magnification (if needed) and be able to ID it.

o

Subterranean Termites do not leave anything much behind. They eat and digest the wood. The mud tubs they use to get to moisture are the most visible thing.

Dry wood termites can live in wood without high moisture content and may create frass that they throw out of the wood.

Carpenter ants (and carpenter bees) do not eat the wood, but dig tunnels to live in it. They leave frass (sawdust sort of stuff) outside the entry holes they make into the wood as they excavate their tunnels.

o

Carpenter ants or some other borer. You must eliminate them soon...or you'll be replacing alot of wood.

Termites and carpenter ants love moist wood...essentially they're smart..."why work harder than you have to?"...would seem to be their motto. In addition to treating for the pests, find the source of any moisture and try to eliminate that as well.

o

Did you ever find out what was eating your porch? That hole looks awfully big.

I just found a pile that looks something like yours in my crawlspace. Yeech!

Let me know if you did find out what it was! Thanks!

o

october17, this post is 2 years old. I doubt the original poster is hanging around waiting for replies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here