Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zirconx

Is this evidence of termites?

zirconx
16 years ago

I painted my wooden rail on the front of my house the other day. A few days later I noticed this pile of dark wood or droppings or something on it. Is this evidence of termites? (see pics) We just bought the house 12 months ago, and had a termite inspection done at that time.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3686/img4461lk6.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2007/img4462yj6.jpg

I live in the midwest, BTW.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

More likely carpenter ants. Termites usually build mud tunnels from the ground to the wood.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Looks like carpenter ants to me as well.

Spray those holes with pyrethrins (sp?)... that's what the expensive exterminator guy did. I could have done that.

• rosesr4me
    16 years ago

I would take a sample along with your photos to a DIY pest control store - they can look at it under magnification (if needed) and be able to ID it.

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

Subterranean Termites do not leave anything much behind. They eat and digest the wood. The mud tubs they use to get to moisture are the most visible thing.

Dry wood termites can live in wood without high moisture content and may create frass that they throw out of the wood.

Carpenter ants (and carpenter bees) do not eat the wood, but dig tunnels to live in it. They leave frass (sawdust sort of stuff) outside the entry holes they make into the wood as they excavate their tunnels.

• glennsfc
    16 years ago

Carpenter ants or some other borer. You must eliminate them soon...or you'll be replacing alot of wood.

Termites and carpenter ants love moist wood...essentially they're smart..."why work harder than you have to?"...would seem to be their motto. In addition to treating for the pests, find the source of any moisture and try to eliminate that as well.

• october17
    14 years ago

Did you ever find out what was eating your porch? That hole looks awfully big.

I just found a pile that looks something like yours in my crawlspace. Yeech!

Let me know if you did find out what it was! Thanks!

• don_1_2006
    14 years ago

october17, this post is 2 years old. I doubt the original poster is hanging around waiting for replies.