Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonhoffer_gw

Asbestos siding shingles

bonhoffer
17 years ago

Where can I get them and for a remodel (100sf) and how much will they cost me?

Comments (8)

• snoonyb
    17 years ago

In a landfill at about the 80 to 90' depth.

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

In case you're not aware, any product with asbestos in it that is installed in a home is a liability that must be disclosed when you sell. I doubt you can even buy these new anymore. Find a lookalike instead.

• pew1
    17 years ago

Don't know that I would consider it a liability, even if it has to be disclosed. Never had a problem selling a house with them installed, nor did anyone ever question them.

I would look around for someone doing some remodeling where they are removing them. Just had a neighbor take down a bunch the other year.

Paul

• rosebush
    17 years ago

I have plenty I need to get rid of. Old house ready to fall down, shingles must go. FREE

• drywall_diy_guy
    17 years ago

We had an old home that had siding shingles that were a masonite type that were no longer available. To fill in an area like you are doing I used cedar shingle matched to the siding. Once painted, you couldn't tell the difference and these shingle were pieced right in along the originals! You may have to resize the shingles a little but this may work fine for you.

In another similar experience last summer I matched old outdated masonite siding with newer stuff by adding extra trim and doing some milwork to match the existing siding. Again, once painted, no one would know the difference.

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

There are shingles that look the same but are made from cement available. Call around to building supply houses.

• edselpdx
    17 years ago

You can't buy them anymore. Buying used is not really a possibility, too, because you would end up having to cut them with a saw to fit your installation, and asbestos really is bad for your health when you create breatheable dust with it...lung cancer isn't the way I want to go.... The asbestos shingles are very difficult to work with I've heard, very brittle and difficult to cut in the best of circumstances.

When we did an addition several years ago, once we saw the beautiful old Doug fir clapboard under that ghastly yellow asbestos, we decided to actually remove them from the whole house and patch the MANY nails holes in the underlying clapboard, replace the bad boards, fix the window trim where it had been butchered to make asbestos installation easier, and repaint the whole house. It looks beautiful now.

I pulled the permit and did the removal myself. I had to take a 2 or 3 hour class from the city one evening, and set up some drop plastic and buy a respirator, but the shingles were considered non-friable if they were unbroken so it wasn't too bad. My permit had specific times I had to state that I was working so the inspector could drop by if they wanted to, but no one ever did). There's only one landfill that accepts them here and they have to be wrapped just so in plastic and taped up with special tape.

It was no picnic, but not really that bad. I did do a lot of cursing under my breath about the *$&*%(! saleman who sold it to the original homeowner and installer who butchered the trim. My carpenter did try to make me feel better by reminding me that whoever butchered that window trim to install the asbestos was long dead from lung disease.

I realize that a full facelift is an expensive alternative, and not possible for all. You will need to do some homework on what siding type best matches your particular asbestos. The alternative that matched ours as closely as possible was Hardiboard, which was actually spec'd in the remodel/addition initially.

• jaclynboushie_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I just bought a house with asbestos siding and I'm concerned about the liability of having them on my house. They're in great condition and I'd like to just leave them on and replace with the cement version as needed (along the bottom where they've taken some abuse), however, I've been told that if I were ever to have a house fire, etc. I'd be hit with the expense of having to hire a hazmat team to come in for material removal. Any suggestions? Should I just invest in the time/materials to remove the siding now and replace w/ something else? I live in upstate NY. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County