Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does termite damage have a musty odor?

Posted by DPForumDog (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 11:13

We bought a farmhouse and thankfully we just go there on weekends. The house has a musty odor. There had been horrible termite damage. Supposedly it is termite free now, but I am wondering if the past termites or current termite damage could be causing the odor.

I know they make tunnels. Do the tunnels have a smell even years after the termites are gone?

We are trying to correct a moisture problem in the crawlspace but I think the musty smell may be a result of the termite residue.

Any and all responses appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does termite damage have a musty odor?

Sounds like you already figured it out. Moisture in a crawl space can cause musty odors and termite tunnels alow the moisture to penitrate deeper causing additional odor. Drying up and ventilating the crawl space should take care of it.
It might seem like termites smell musty but it's more accuratly because termites normaly invade areas of high moisture.

o
RE: Does termite damage have a musty odor?

Your question about a musty odor reminded me of an article I read a few years ago about unclean food establishments. The restaurant inspector/author said that a musty odor indicates rats. Whenever he entered a restaurant with a strong musty odor, he knew there was a rat infestation. I suggest this: Borrow or invest in a trail (motion detector) camera. Est. $150. Use it to detect what's causing the musty order because I'm pretty darn sure it isn't the termites or termite damage. It could be mold or mildew from water damage or it could be vermin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here