Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground Cover - Pachysandra against wall

Posted by jerry_nj (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 11:11

The Pachysandra we planted in the shade for ground cover next tot he house a few years back may be doing too well.

We have a full basement, with window wells about 18" deep, and cement block foundation walls, cement covered on the outside.

The Pachysandra along one side has grown up close to the house and touches all the way up to the lower edge of the painted cedar siding. It has also almost reached across the window well on that side of the house.

Should I trim the Pachysandra back away from the siding? I'm comfortable that the cement basement wall is in no danger, but the siding may suffer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground Cover - Pachysandra against wall

I don't know what your climate is, but in my climate this doesn't seem to be a problem. Our siding is 100 years old and has probably had plant contact for a good portion of that time. But trimming it away certainly wouldn't hurt the plant or the siding.

Managing the pachysandra in the long term may require you to thin it periodically by taking out chunks of its root mass to give it new room to grow. I don't know pachysandra that well, but based on other ground covers... If it is doing really well, and it sounds like it is, and is in a confined area, it may eventually choke on itself, some will die off, and it will rejuvenate itself over time, thus going through cycles. You could just watch how dense it is and be a bit proactive if it gets really thick.

KarinL

o

Thanks, yes the plants are doing very well, and crowded. I have to keep mowing close to the intended edge to keep if from taking over the lawn.

I have pulled some plants to spread to other areas. That seems to be growing well in its new location. I didn't take much care either, just pulled up some chunks and scratched the surface where I transplanted to.

o

This plant is a colonizer, so it isn't suitable everywhere - it's no sin to discard excess of it instead of transplanting it. I personally don't put plants like this where there isn't a physical barrier keeping them corralled, but if you can maintain the edge with mowing, that's good.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here