Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub & shower refinishing - fiberglass surface

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 10:41

Anybody have some recommendations on selecting a refinisher for tubs and shower pans?

I'm dealing with a 10 yr old fiberglass pan (the walls are tiled). Are any methods preferred for maintaining a durable, cleanable finish or are they all pretty much the same?

I got a quote for $375 from one company. They say they apply 8 layers of some sort of finish after cleaning & prepping the surface. Does that sound about right for something that will last several years? (Metro DC area)

Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub & shower refinishing - fiberglass surface

My dad had a friend who had a perma glaze franchise in n.w. florida, they are nationwide. What impressed me was when they glazed over the tile, grout and all, is that you could leave it all one solid color, or they could replicate the grout lines any color as well. Either way, no more cleaning or re-grouting grout joints as it all wipes clean easily, little maintenance. Im not sure about the fiberglass pan, you would have to inquire, but I believe they can glaze that as well

Here is a link that might be useful: permaglaze

o
RE: Tub & shower refinishing - fiberglass surface

Yup, we had something similar done in a small bathroom, w/ pink tile and black bullnose border) throughout the room. We covered just the pink 4x4's and grout, changing it to high gloss white. It ran about $600 or so and has lasted reasonably well for the last 10 years. Some got scraped off when the tub got recaulked, and also a couple grout lines are now a bit chipped, but otherwise it's gotten us through in lieu of a full upgrade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here