Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woodpecker holes in cedar siding

Posted by big_al_41 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 10:39

Ok people .. how do I go about fixing and filling the holes that those GD woodpeckers put into the corners of my house? Someone suggested that I use bondo . Any thoughts Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woodpecker holes in cedar siding

I don't believe bondo will expand and contract with the wood so it will crack over time. I have used the two-part wood epoxy filler on an exterior door but that eventually cracked around the edges too. I have also used a squeeze bottle wood filler for small holes that has held up fine, but I don't know how well it would work for larger holes. Is just using regular caulk an option? That will seal the holes but will never perfectly blend in. Painting over does help to hide it though.

This post was edited by mosquitogang201 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 17:06

o

Mosquito.. thank you for the reply . I think I will go with the caulk ...one made for outside and can move with the various temps here in New England. those dam birds are driving me nuts.

o

1) do something about the bugs that the woodpeckers are going after. They don't make holes for the sake of making holes, there are critters in there that look like breakfast to Mr. Woodpecker. They don't make a hole if they are just drumming to announce their presence.

2) On my barn, which has been infested with winter moths under the shingles, I discourage the woodpeckers by sliding a piece of aluminum between the shingles to cover the hole, tacking it in place with a small SS nail. Hit it with a dab of red paint and it is not very noticeable.

Getting the building weather tight and re-painting seems to have made it less hospitable to the moths. In one area I discovered a serious carpenter ant farm thanks to the woodpecker's attention, so it's not all bad.

o

Not sure about New England, but in the PNW they certainly do peck for the sake of pecking/to announce their presence. We have one (wpecker or flicker) that comes every spring just to "peck" on our chimney cap.

It is the loudest resounding noise through all the house. And, you can't tell me he is pecking because there are any bugs there (it is metal).

o

Right, but when they are drumming to announce themselves they don't make holes, hence the metal cap works fine for them. If they are boring holes it's either to excavate a nest cavity or go after breakfast. They don't actually make much noise when they are serious about making a hole.

o
Rat traps

Our extension service recommends hanging rat traps baited with peanuts near where the holes are being made. We fought with flickers for years, and do have metal sheet and mesh up to deter them, but the rat traps really do work well: the flickers either get frightened and don't return, or they move on to another world.
Renais

o

What?

o

I had a problem with Pileated Woodpeckers putting holes in my deck posts. I hung a metal hanger and a bright colored twirling windsock over the area... no more problems!

I'm surprised the extension center would recommend something that might harm the birds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here