Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reduce bathroom fan vent from 4" to 3"?

Posted by anniel89 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 10:28

I need to install a basement bathroom fan. It will run about 1 1/2 feet and out the wall. I'm pretty sure I have enough space for a 4" vent but I may only have enough for a 3".

I haven't found a fan/light with a 3" vent. Can I reduce from a 4" to a 3"? If so, should I look for a fan with higher cfm (or lower?)? It's not a very long run - any thoughts would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reduce bathroom fan vent from 4" to 3"?

There are 4" to 3" reducers available at most hdw. stores and for that short a run, you shouldn't affect the efficiency.

o

You can also transition from 4" round to oval, and then back to round where it connects to the outside cap. The oval shape easily fits inside a wall and you can maintain the same cross-sectional area. Even Amazon carries a variety of oval duct and fittings. Below is one example that is used for a dryer, but you could use it with a fan as well. Or you could just get fittings and make up your own to fit your situation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round-to-oval-to-round periscope duct

o

Thanks folks! Mostly I'm worried about the space where it exits the house. I have just about 4" if I'm lucky between the subfloor of the main level and the concrete porch outside. I'm trying to squeeze the vent in that space.

If I can go down to the 3" without damaging the fan it will be no problem.

o

However, finding a dampered vent cap may be difficult. So you might need to end it at the siding with a flat screen, and no damper.

o

Amazon has several dampered vent caps...this one for example:

Here is a link that might be useful: Broan, 3

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 5:20

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here