Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iron pipe sticking out of ground at corner of property?

Posted by tlbean2004 (tlbean2004@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 9:58

This pipe is sticking up out of the ground at the back corner of my property. I have lived here 5 years and only noticed it when i remove a tree that was covering it up.

Does anybody know what it could have been used for?
It is right next to a fence post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iron pipe sticking out of ground at corner of property?

I also have those - they mark the edge of the property line, just confirmed that when house was resurveyed and the orange flags were put right next to them.

o

From the condition of the end of the pipe, it appears it was hammered into the ground.

Let's see. A pipe marker at the corner of your lot... hmm.

Does not appear to be the work of Benjamin Banneker - he worked in stone - so I'm guessing an earlier homeowner memorialized the surveying efforts of a survey team.

o

Property is surveyed before they build a house on it. That is what they put in so that is legal corner of your property. Good chance the other 3 have been removed as owners somewhere along the way wanted to put a fence up or some get buried over the years. Nice to have it in if a dispute should ever arise with neighbors.(trying to put fence on your property, putting shed over the line or too close to property line as some codes say any building has to be 5 ft into your property or whatever for that city, some nasty disputes arise).

o

Also, if you check your deed, that pipe might be mentioned as a property line marker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here