Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
joining gutter

Posted by vladr (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 9:40

Hello,

I have to join two 10ft runs of aluminium k-profile gutter onto either side of a drop section:

The end product will look like in the lower-right corner of this picture:

Now, I have several options of doing the two joins:

1. using two crimp-on "seamers" to cover the seams between the two 10ft runs and the drop

2. using two slip-on connectors to connect the two 10ft runs to the drop

3. getting (or fabricating) a drop section which already has, on either side, the kind of interlocking slip-on connectors do (essentially a double-fold before extrusion to create the slip-on lip)
  4. reduce the ends of the two 10ft runs and slip them into the drop section then mechanically fastened (screws on the front and back)

I cannot go with seamless since one of the two 10ft segments "belongs" to me, while the other one is the neighbour's (who will have to replace her fascia in the coming years and tear the entire thing down again.)

The 10ft runs are pitched 1/2".

Because the joinery is extremely visible (man's height level and right at the entrance) I would prefer methods #3/#4 over #1/#2 because they have the minimal number of seams. However, I have yet to see an off-the-shelf part fitting the bill for #3 -- and #4 is barely mentioned anywhere.

Is there anything obviously wrong with #4?

Thanks!
V.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: joining gutter

Hi, Go with 4. I did mine that way and it was fast, easy and looked great.One fits on the inside and one fits on the out side, I allowed about two inches overlap.No cutting is needed to make the fit. On the outside one use some pliers and crush the channel on the top front of the gutter back about 2 inches. Put on some sealer on the inside of the outside gutter, start about a half inch from the end so you don't get any sealer on the outside. Install the inside gutter and fasten no need to crush the channel on the inside gutter.It takes me longer to type this than do the job. If you have old gutters practice on them.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o
RE: joining gutter

I'd go with option 5. Have the neighbor replace her facia now and go with seamless.

I get the feeling that is not a deck over a properly pitched roof and some sort of seat of the pants figure it out as you go assembly. If neighbor's facia and deck are rotting you are probably getting water in the common wall. Are mold and moisture problems common with these garages? How's your ceiling or was that already replaced? How's the neighbors ceiling? Any pictures of your actual condition?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here