Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about sealing outside Deck

Posted by big_al_41 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 9:08

My son just recently purchased a house that has a 10 X 10 outside deck. We are thinking about using a product to clean and lighten up the wood and then sealing it. So here is my question can we spray the sealer on with one of those garden type pump sprayers, rather rolling or brushing. It will be a clear type sealer.

Any pros & cons ??

BigAl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about sealing outside Deck

Hello,
I think you can spray the sealer on Pump Up Garden Type Sprayers. If you are sealing over a previous failed finished you will need to remove the old finish first. Sodium Hydroxide Based Strippers will remove most oil stains and sealants (Delco's DSR-50). Testing is required with strength and dwell time because of the variation in the quality of the old sealant plus degradation due to time and weather. You need to use the stripper as weak as possible and you can increase dwell time by covering the stripper with plastic sheeting. It is not unusual when removing stains for it to take two or three cleanings.

o

Sprayed on sealer from a pump-type or any other type sprayer will still need to be 'back-rolled' with a roller to remove and spread excess overspray....

Close areas will still need to be hand brushed...

Save the wasteful 'spraying' step and simply roll and brush.

You'll save money and end up with a better finished product.

o

Roll and back-brush is the most effective method of adhesion and coverage.

Michael

o

just brush it. A 10x10 can be brushed with a 4" brush in about 45 minutes. A brush works the best

o

I just finished a deck and my research supports all the brush suggestions above. Also, go to the stain manufacturer's web site for cleaning and application steps. Be sure to wipe any excess that's still sitting after 20 or 30 mins or so, or you may end up with shiny patches. Don't apply in direct sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here