Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boscenic

recoat exterior wood siding with oil or latex?

boscenic
17 years ago

When renovating our home several years ago we stained new wood siding with an oil-based solid color stain, 2 coats. We are wanting to restain now and our paint technician (Benjamin Moore) now advises us to re-coat with a latex stain instead of oil. His rationale was that there would be less discoloration and fading, etc. and that oil was appropriate for use on virgin wood. He insists that recoating should be latex. We've tried some of the latex stain but find the coverage isn't as good as the oil stain and realize we'll have to do 2 coats instead of the one coat that we were hoping we could get away with using oil. We've had a few people we know, including some painters, tell us that we should be sticking with the oil-based stain. One even commented that this tech should be fired for advising latex. We're confused and wondering what to do. This is a large two-story house... big job. Thanks

Comments (3)

• Michael
    17 years ago

One even commented that this tech should be fired for advising latex.

If you're looking for advice, you have to learn to ignore painter's who make those unjustified comments.

I would certainly use the 100% Acrylic over the oil. The acrylic paint gives you better performance and it's safer for the environment.

Oil is not only the old way, it's now become "the wrong way". Some states have enacted laws banning alkyd (oil) paints and most other states are working on the legislation to ban it. We'll all be better off when that's completed.

Manufacturers have been formulating paint to replace convenional oils for years. 100% Acrylics are outperforming oils.

Enough on that debate. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Are you doing a color change? If so, two coats will always be required. Did you clean the surface prior to painting? That's one of the most important steps of a quality paint/stain job.

Nobody ever said that painting is easy so I encourage you to stick with it and do the two coats. It's great exercise, fresh air and you get to listen to the birds whistle, "while you work".

Michael

• drywall_diy_guy
    17 years ago

As much as I hate using oil, I had to use oil primer for my priming my worn out masonite siding. Then overcoated with a good latex. Every bit of research I did demanded this. So yes, oil still needs to be used on occasion.

For this siding however mentioned in this post, acrylic sounds like the way to go. Exterior latex has come a long way in quality. Read the paint cans - they specify what they are good for and what they are not.

• Michael
    17 years ago

drywall guy..

Yes. The reason for the oil over deteriorated masonite is to "bind" the fiberous materials in it. Thank God that stuff is off the market!

Michael