Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
door keeps closing

Posted by loveflowers (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 8:36

My bathroom door will not stay open, this is from putting too much WD-1040 on the hidges. I've tried wiping the hidges off, but it still closes. Is there anyway to resolve this problem?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: door keeps closing

you could pull out one of the hinge pins and tap the center (or single) barrel of the hinge to one side with a hammer and slightly offset that with respect to the upper and lower barrels. This will cause a little more friction on the hinge pin when it is reinstalled and should be enough to hold the door open.

o

I usually remove a hinge pin and bend the pin slightly with a hammer---which binds the hinge just a little and holds the door open. I have run into doors needing two pins bent to hold the door open.

o

Thank you for the responses. One question though, doing any one of these fixes, will the door still work properly?

o

Yes, the door should still operate just fine.

It is probably easier to reinstall the pin if you bend it slightly as suggested by handymac as opposed to offsetting the hinges.

o

Thanks, I'm going to surprise my hubby that I fixed it. :)

o

The door closes because the hinges are not true vertical. put a level on the hinge side of the jamb. if the jamb tilts toward the latch side, it can sometimes be helped by instlling 3" long screws into the top hinge and pulling the jamb tighter to the stud. Cheap easy and worth a try. May have to adjust the latch side also to make the door fit right.
If the hinge jamb tilts in or out from the bathroom, you would probably have to remove the casing on at least one side to try to move the jamb and reanchor it to the studs. Probably not worth it. I would probably opt for the temporary fix method of bending hinge pins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here