Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom exhaust fan

Posted by chuckby (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 6:54

I have a bathroom exhaust fan, in the ceiling, that exhausts up into the actic. Should I leave it like this or should I get some ductwork and have it exhaust up toward one of the roof vents and hook it some how so it could vent out. The roof vent opening is to big so I would have to just hang it from the roof vent and let it vent that way? Thank you in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom exhaust fan

You should run a duct to the roof vent. This is because of the humidity that would typically be vented by a bathroom exhaust fan. That humidity can cause damage and mold. It's okay to run it to the vent without an airtight fitting.

o

Bath vents are required to be run directly to the exterior of the building (roof or walls) and terminate in a hood with a backdraft damper.

Running it to the roof vent is not an accepted practice.

o

Personally, I vent mine straight up out the roof and the vent pipe is coated with expanding foam insulation. I want that moisture as far away as possible. I live in a cold climate where that moist air will quickly condense when it hits the cold.

I am just finishing a big bathroom project to fix a situation where the previous owner did not secure the vent hose and my attic got all kinds of moisture and mold. It is a miserable project!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here