Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Someone Recommend a Good Mildew Remover?

Posted by frank1203 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 5:54

Hi - I have some accumulated mildew in my shower stall (specifically on the grout in each of the corners where the tile meets the base). I have tried various cleaners, including brushing in cleanser with bleach, tilex, etc. but nothing seems to remove this inbetted black stain. Is there some product you can suggest that will work. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Someone Recommend a Good Mildew Remover?

Sounds as if the mold is in behind the chalk and your tilex(etc) is not getting too it. You will need to remove the chalk and then clean and re - chalk, using a mildew resistant chalk.

o

If the black marks are mildew, chlorine bleach should remove it quickly. Try applying FULL STRENGTH, UNDILUTED Clorox -- use rubber gloves, and ventilate the room as much as possible. Let the bleach soak in for a few minutes. Then rinse and repeat if necessary.

If that doesn't work, try a hand grenade (just kidding!).

Good luck.

o

Hi - Thanks for your responses.. to try and answer some of the questions asked.

- I did use a mildew resistant caulk. In fact, about 6 months ago - I even removed the caulk and re-caulked. It went mildew free for about 3 months and then it started appearing again in almost the same areas.

- Chlorine bleach has not worked. I let it soak in for a while. I even tried using a Chlorox Bleach pen. Nothing works. The hand grenade is my next idea!

Any other suggestions. I would have to think that there is some over the counter product that could work.

o

I'd suggest taking a small amount of toilet tissue or paper towel and saturating it with full strength bleach. Place that over the offending area and wait 15-30 minutes.

Since the mildew appeared in the same areas that might indicate you didn't clean up the old stuff sufficiently when you re-caulked.

You might also take a look at your bathroom ventilation. If you don't have a fan, add one. If you do, add a timer to ensure it runs for 15 minutes after you are done showering.

o

Put a solution of 1:1 (50% to 50%) water and chlorine bleach in a spray bottle.

Throughly saturate the area with the solution and leave overnight.

The mold/mildew will be completely gone by morning.

Repeat weekly and you'll have no further problems.

o

Diluted bleach is actually better than undiluted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here