Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
install the door jamb upside down

Posted by vacd (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 3:15

today,i made a big mistake,i think in the world only me that stupid. i found that after i installed four doors already.

i installed the door jamb upside down, so the keyhole is up higher than regular height.what can i do

1.it is hard to take out door jamb,it is mdf material with 10d nails. change the doorjamb will cost more!

2.leave that way, install door upside down. door knob is going to be higher than regular. looks weired.

3.cover the predrilled key hole. and drill another keyhole.
is that easy to drill a keyhole?

totally frustrated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: install the door jamb upside down

I suspect you are talking about the hole pre-drilled in the jamb to receive the latch set. The hole would be covered with a strike plate.

It should be easy to fill the hole and drill another one. If you install the door upside down make sure the pins for the butts (removable pin hinges) can be reversed. I have seen doors with knobs installed that high in older houses and they looked quite elegant but it might be difficut for a child to reach.

o

"t is hard to take out door jamb,it is mdf material with 10d nails. change the doorjamb will cost more! "

Not that hard.

Drive the nails all the way though and remove the jamb.

o

Does this also mean that the top part of the jamb is on the floor, sort of like a threshold? In any case, definitely remove it and install it properly. Otherwise it will drive you nuts for as long as you live there.

You can either drive the nails through with a punch, or cut them off using a Sawzall with a metal-cutting blade by sliding the blade down between the outside of the jamb and the rough opening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here