Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on waterproofing basement

Posted by indymom76 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 23:33

Hello-My husband and I bought our house going on 4 years ago. Lately, we have noticed more water problems in our basement. It's not standing in many places, but it is definitely seeping through somewhere. My husband wants to bring in dirt and slope it away from the house-which I think is a good idea. The part I'm not sold on yet is adding the plastic below the dirt-about 2-3 inches below the soil on top. He wants to do this all around the house. I worry about the flowerbeds. Any thoughts? Suggestions? We're open to any. We've had about 5-6 guys out to look at it and they've all given us different suggestions to get rid of the problem. I want to try the dirt, since it sounds like the most logical and cheapest bet. I just don't want the plastic down, which would prevent growth of flower beds! Any help would be appreciated-thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on waterproofing basement

Adding the plastic could be counter productive. That could create a difference in the moisture content of the soil which could harm the foundation even more.

Try adding the dirt---it needs to be packed a bit and have grass/plants to hold it in place.

Clean the gutters and inspect the down spouts. Look at the downspout outflow areas, where the water goes when it comes out.

o

Your husband's thoughts are proven techniques, although different materials are used....plastic sheeting can be OK. The material should slope away from the foundation/house. Three inches is a bit shallow, deeper is better. It won't harm plants as long as the drainage is sloped.
The width of the sheeting depends on the perc qualities of the soil.

o

i know the best waterproofing company in Toronto. They have been in business a long time 80 years? They did my house after two other companies did it. They are the best and i am taking the time to write this to save someone else the headache

Here is a link that might be useful: rcc waterproofing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here