Return to the Home Repair Forum

o
craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp

Posted by brisbyb (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 23:00

My garage door starts to close, 1/4 of the way down it opens back up. I have to stop it and start it again from that point. I have to do this approximately 3 times during each evolution. Any solutions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp

Does the door operate manully if you disconnect it from the opener carriage? An opener will not compensate for a bad door.
Are your sensor aligned and tight. If they are wobbling then they will detect an object and send the door back up.

o

You didn't mention flashing lights so I will assume the door sensors are properly aligned and working. On the rear of your unit near where all those white wires go you will find a control marked 'down force". Turn this control in small increments until the door closes consistently. Do not over adjust as this affects the safety reverse if the door contacts something.

o

I diconnected the garage door from the carriage. It works fine. I tried adjusting the doen force knob. No Go. I attempted to find the sensor lights where and around the area where they should be. No such luck. Any more suggestions?

o

If the unit is working properly when disconnected from the door there is most likely a problem with the door. Joed asked above if the door operates normally when disconnected. Operating a door by hand is very different from operating it with a door opener. For instance you pull down on the front of the door to close it and the opener pushes on the back of the door. There are different forces involved that can be confusing. I suggest you call an opener company for help.

o
craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp

I own a 1/2 HP Craftman model 139.53879 opener - under 5 years old. I purchased this opener at a garage sale with no manual or instructions. It also has no emer. sensors.
Door seems to work fine going up. Going down it stops and reverses after about 1 or 2 feet of travel. Sometimes it goes farther or shorter distances before reversing.

There is no sensor.The light does blink 10 times when I am having these issues. Also don't feel that I have a force or travel length issue - I've fiddled with the controls to no end.
Door seems to be traveling freely.
Noticed that the reversal was happening even when door was disengaged.
What would be causing reversal? Does not having sensors have anything to do with my problem?

Any help would be **Greatly** appreciated....

o

The photo eyes sensors are required by law, and the manufacturers are obliged to design these machines so as not to close unless the photo eyes are installed and functioning properly.
There is no way to bypass or defeat the sensors.
You have no option other than to buy a pair of Photo eyes and hook them up.
You can over-ride them by standing there and holding the button on the wall until the door closes and comes to a complete stop, but thats a pain in the neck to do that everytime you close the door.

o

Hello,
I have a similiar problem with my craftsman 1/2 hp opener.
It used to work fine but all of a suddening when the garage door closes it stops after about 1 ft going down and the light blights six times. i haven't seen this problem before. does any one have any idea wrong with it my open? could it be a sensor problem?

I can manually roll down the garage door fine. The opener can open the door with no problems as well but it just can't close it for some reason?

Any help would be great!
Thanks

o

The most common cause of this problem is your door sensors have been bumped or moved and are no longer pointing at one another. Each of the sensors has a small light that must be on steady (not blinking however slightly). Tweak them until both lights are on.

o

My mother had a problem with a newly installed garage door opener and steel door. It would go down partially, then back up. When closing manually, I didn't notice a problem.

Then, I noticed as the opener pushed (closed) the door, it would sway slightly to one side causing one of the door wheel axles to catch on the track. There wasn't much I could adjust on the opener to make a difference. The garage door man made some adjustment to the door to make it come down straight. Sorry, I couldn't provide a remedy. But maybe you can check if this is your problem? -jasper

o

Thanks for the replies. It indeed was the door sensors. I've adjusted and made sure that lights are okay and is working fine again.

Thanks a lot for the help.

o

I bought a craftsman garage door opener in a garage sale and installed it this last weekend. I had some trouble getting it to run, until I leveled it. I tested the hard ward control, the twoo remotesn and the wireless keyless code entry controller and they all worked. Now on Sunday, it won't work. I checked the level and it is ok. All I get is the 2 clicks confirming the signal from any of the controllers. The lights were my guide when I got it to work on Saturday, but on Sunday no lights. I got the install/users booklet when I bought the opener, but I cannot find an answer to why it won't work. I checked the lights on the sender and receiver for the obstruction detectors. I checked the learn button light. What else can I do?? and thanks for any assistance.

o

What lights are you referring to when you say "The lights were my guide when I got it to work on Saturday, but on Sunday no lights"? Does it work from the wall control?

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp. It has been installed for 3 yrs now. Today I go and try to open it and It won't. I find that the chain has come off. So I put the chain back on. Attempt to calibrate it so it opens and closes properly. During this process i hear 3 clicks in the motor...but no movement. I look up and the learn button is flashing 5 times. Pauses, then again 5 times. Anyone help me out. Thanks

o

My garage door a craftsman 1/2 chain drive started to close all but a foot. Pressing a second time it went fully closed. Now it goes down and back up. I have disengaged the door, and it moves freely. I've tried to operate the door disengaged and it goes from one end stops and returns to the up position. Pls. advise the up,down and KG up and down adjustment process. I cannot find the end to the up potentiometer but I can for the down. Is it a ten turn pot? Thanks for any help here.

o

You are not adjusting potentiometers and there is no 'end' to their adjustments. What you have most probably done is adjust them until they have become bent. I suggest you bite the bullet and call a service technician.

o
craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp not closing

My garage door will not close, when I push the button the light flashes and then nothing, unless I hold the button down. It has been working fine for 4 months and then this happened. Does the cold weather has anything to do with it? I rewired the sensors last week and then it started working fine again. But yesterday it stoped again. Please help. Thanks so much

o

Check to make sure the sensors are still pointed at one another. Might want to recheck your wiring also. Make sure the small light on each one is on and not blinking ever so slightly.

You really only need to post once.

o
craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp lights don't come on

My garage door opener works fine, it is the 2 lights that will no longer come on when I open or close the door. It does not matter whether I use the car controls or the wall unit, even when I use the "lights on" switch on the wall unit the lights do not come on. I put in new bulbs but that is not the problem. When I use the wall unit I hear the clicks, a "relay" I guess like I heard when the lights when the lights did use to come on. One day the lights worked from both the car units and the wall unit, the next day they no longer work. My electric eyes safety light beam is working fine as well. Only the lights refuse to come on. Any ideas ? Thanks !

o

Unplug the opener and using a small screwdriver pull out on the center contact in the sockets. Also you can remove the cover and trace the wires back from the socket. You may find a wire loose or burned off at the connections.

o

I believe that the white wire going to one of the sensors for the garage door opener was somehow cut by the door. The small lights on both sensors are out. Is this something I can repair on my own?

o

There are actually 2 wires going to each sensor. One is solid white and the other is white with a black tracer. You can splice these wires as long as you make sure you follow the color code.

o

my door opener will not work. I have checked the safety lights, they are working fine. The door opens perfectly when disconnected. I have adjusted up and down forces. I even disconnected chain. The opener still only goes about 3 inches and stops. The only lights blinking are in the rear of the opener, the"learn" green light for remote controls. Any ideas?

o

My light bulb is burned out but I can't get the white "door" open to change the bulb. What's the secret?

o

mis2ko:
if by "white door" you mean the white plastic cover over the bubs on a craftsman opener, then they just hace tabs that hold the cover to the opener. The plastic tabs should be pushed in towrds the opner to release them. I attached a link to a craftsman opener owner's manual to show how one style attaches. At the link under reference,click on owners manual and see page 23. hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: owner manual

o

I bought new garage door opener and installed it. Installed both sencers and aligned them properly, till this every thing is fine but when i try to operate it(from remote or wallpanel), i hear 2 clicks in motor and then my diagnostic light blinks for 5 times. Manual says that it means motor is overheat. Does it realy get overheat in just one use?? It seems the might be something else, Can some one help me fixing this please.

o

I think you are saying the opener worked once. Did it raise the door and stick in the open position? Make sure the trolley is not jammed against the bolt in front of the motor unit. This can cause the problem you are describing.

o

My garage door opener has worked fine for about 3 years. Tonight when I went to close it, the opener motor turned on, the chain on the electric opener moved, but the door did not move. I noticed that the sensor light on one side of the door was green. On the other side the sensor light was yellow. Any suggestions? Thanks.

o
RE: replacing nylon gear

from what I can see I have a stripped nylon gear - and I gather that it is a common problem
I have " some " skills at repair - mostly common snese here are my questions:
1 to replace the gear do I take the whole unit off the rafters . or can I do the replace with the unit installed?
2. does the gear "kit " have installation instructions?
3, this unit is at least 8 years old. it is on sale now for $ 119. any advice on " replace " rather than " repair "

thanks for whatever info

o

Here's my 0.02:

1.) to replace the gear do I take the whole unit off the rafters . or can I do the replace with the unit installed?
I believe it is necessary to pull it down to change out the gear (definitely easier to pull it even if not required)

2.) does the gear "kit " have installation instructions?
Yes

3.) this unit is at least 8 years old. it is on sale now for $ 119. any advice on " replace " rather than " repair "
You could get the same life again out of this one by replacing the gear. Not sure what the cost is but I suspect you'll pay ~$40.

Do you have multiple remotes? keypad? any other features on the new one that this one doesn't have? It might be worth it to just replace. Your call.

Hope this helps.

o

got the part , took my time, followed the directions,
put it all back together

it worked 100% the first time

thanks for the help and all the info on this site

Pete

o

My door has trouble opening when its cold. It works great in the summer. When I push the remote or the wall button, the door will go up about 12" and I have to either block the eye sensor or manually help the door up. I did notice that one of the sensor eyes has a green light on and the other is yellow or amber. What does that mean. When the door finally goes up the light on the main motor flashes 10 times. The door goes down fine. Help!

o

I broke the gear wheel off mine and had a friend install a new gear kit.
Before the install everything was working correctly
After the install we bench tested it and will only go in one direction. The wheel will not turn in the opposite direction. Even when the contact is made to reverse, it will not.
Please advise if anyone knows anything, THANK YOU SO MUCH !!

o

Take a good look at the limit switch assembly and make sure all 3 wires are connected.

o

My remotes and wall wired (single button) switch were working intermittently and now not at all. It is very cold out, and I have seen other postings that address the cold. However, when I unplugged the unit, it worked for about 5 seconds, and then died again. I have checked the sensors and they seem to be aligned and working.
The green light on the wall wired switch has been getting more and more dim and occasionally is out completely.
Any suggestions?

o

I need to buy the electronic card of the 1/2hp by the internet please send me the address

o

My sears craftsman garage door opener model# 139.53615sr opens when my neighbor opens her garage. I tried to reset the codes by holding the learn key momentarily, for 6 seconds, 30 seconds, two minutes, powering off the unit, etc. Yet the codes remain in effect from my remotes to my neighbor's remotes. When I press the learn button the red led light stays on while I hold it and never turns off until about 30 seconds after I let go (learn mode)
Is there another way to erase/reset the codes?

o
Craftsman garage door opener can't erase codes

My sears craftsman garage door opener model# 139.53615sr opens when my neighbor opens her garage. I tried to reset the codes by holding the learn key momentarily, for 6 seconds, 30 seconds, two minutes, powering off the unit, etc. Yet the codes remain in effect from my remotes to my neighbor's remotes. When I press the learn button the red led light stays on while I hold it and never turns off until about 30 seconds after I let go (learn mode)
Is there another way to erase/reset the codes?

o

Could someone lend me a hand? I have a Craftsman 1/2hp 139.53735SRT. I have a cordless, keyless remote outside that used to open the garage door, but now it will not. I know it works because it used to.

Also, can you tell me how to program the remotes for my cars?

Thank you.
NM

o

Put a new battery in the keyless and see what happens. To program remotes, on the back of the unit (where all the wires go) there will be a learn button. Push it and immediately release and then push the desired button on the transmitter. You will hear the opener click and see the lights flash(assuming they work) and that is it. If the keyless still won't work try reprogramming it as well, push the learn button then push in 4 numbers and hit enter.

o

Model 139.53879 - two exact openers.
All of the sudden, both doors open with the same remote, not the wall unit, but the remote.
The indication light on the opener itself continues to blink constantly on both doors.
They are 8 years old, HAS THE CIRCUIT BOARD GONE BAD?
A new circuit board is $68; a new opener is $125....8 years old, easy choice.
HAS ANYONE RUN INTO THIS ISSUE?
Please help!!!!

o

Are these one button transmitters or three button? When you say they open from the same remote do you mean that when you hit a button for the left door the right door also goes up or vice versa? Last do the wall units for each opener still work fine?

o

First off, lots of helpful info on this page helped me install a new gear kit, a big deal for me.
However, not that I Have installed it, my garage door will move no more than 12 inches when activated, then return the same distance in the opposite direction. Any ideas?
I'm assuming it has something to do with the limit switches/screws, but I have adjust them mildly to moderately, and receive the same result.

Thanks in advance.

o

Make sure you have the RPM sensor plugged in and make sure you put that big black circle thing back on the motor shaft. IF so make sure it is pressed all the way one. The problem you are describing is consistent with RPM sensor failure and is a common problem when people change their gears.

o

I have exactly same problem as Shawn described. I followed doorguy06's suggestion and checked RPM plug-in and tightened the Interupter Cap(the big back circle thing), but the problem is still there. Any further ideas?

Thanks a lot.

o

victor door, what exactly is your problem? Sometimes it seems like you have the same problem as someone else but there may be slight differences.

o

My Craftsman Garage door opener Model# 139.18860.
After I relaced the worn gears, the door only open about 1 foot up. Even though I dis-engaged the troley off the door,the troley only move that short range.And it looks like ajusting limit switches did not help.

Thanks for help.

Victor

o

victor door, loosen the chain enough that you can take it off the sprocket on top of the motor unit. With the chain off and the door open, run the motor until the sprocket runs counterclockwise and stops. Replace the chain. Now you will have to adjust those limit switches. Don't over tighten the chain. It should sag a little when the door is closed.

o

I know that my door sensors are out of allign and now disconnected but I can hold down the wall switch and get the door to go all of the way down and repeat to raise it. The problem is that the light bulbs burn all of the time. The only way to turn out the lights is to unplug the power. Any Ideas???

o

The lights are controlled by a relay on the logic board. Sounds like the contacts are stuck closed. If you have sensor problems and now a logic board problem I would start looking for a replacement.

o

Hi, my husband's in Iraq and this garage door just went a bit wacky tonight when I tried to close it. So I pulled the red string that makes it a manual close, but have no idea how to reconnect it to make it automatic again. I am sure he has the manual SOMEWHERE...Yikes, can you help? Thanks!

o

Pull straight down on that red string and release. The next time you run the door it should connect itself.

o

Help please! I am having trouble with my 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener.

The other day it just stopped going up or down and the light flashed 10 times. I tried adjusting the lasers even though they were still lit up. No luck.

The next day it still wasn't working (I was hoping for dumb luck!) but I did reprogram the keypad sucessfully by pressing the button on the main unit(when I put in the code the light blinked but it wouldn't go up). I assumed since the chain drive wasn't moving that it must be the nylon thread inside the unit that was stripped until...

Just yesterday I started to play with it again. The garage door was down but the "bar" that engages and pulls up the door was up near the motor. When I pressed the wall button the "bar" went down and engaged with the garage door. This was the first time the "bar" had moved in days. Then I tried pushing the wall button again and the door went up! I sucessfully got it to go up and down 4 times using the wall button and once using the keypad. I thought it was fixed until an hour or so later. It stopped going down, blinking 10 times but it would go up. Again, I adjusted the lasers, swept the floor, took off the weather stripping on the bottom of the door so that nothing would obstruct the movement of the door. Still no luck. I did notice that there was an orange light( on the main unit near the button I used to reprogram the keypad) that is dimly lit off and on. Could this have something to do with it?
I am not super handy - so is it time to replace the unit or call a repair man?

Thanks for your suggestions!

o

The little orange light you see has nothing to do with your problem. Your problem is with the door sensors or the wiring to them. They must be pointed at one another to work properly and you should see a small light on each one that is lit when they are aligned. If alignment doesn't fix your problem and your unit is around 10 years old I would replace it.

o

My garage door will not close with the remote from the car. It goes down a few feet and return. Also I have to hold down the wall-mounted closer to allow the door to close. I know the sensors are pointed towards one another, however one of the sensors have an amber color instead of green. Do I need to replace the sensor? I dusted the eyes and tried repointing, but no luck. The one sensor will never turn green, but the opposite one does when they looked to be aligned properly. Thanks in advance.

o

The amber sensor is the sending eye and will always be amber as long as the opener has power. The other eye should be green if not they are not lined up. If you are holding down the wall button you are overiding the senors. Take another look at them something is still not lined up.

o

Just had a major hail storm in the northeast. A few circuit breakers tripped and power eventually went off. When it came back (and all circuit breakers were in "on") encountering 2 problems. 1) one garage door opener doesn't work at all - lights are off on the sensors. 2) on the other door opener, the light won't go out. Before the storm, everything worked fine.
Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

o

I would suspect the logic board on opener #1 and a stuck relay on opener #2. On opener #2 I would remove the logic board and look for burnt or missing traces on the PC board. Might also do that on opener #1 but I think it is toast.

o
don 1 2006

from everything I read earlier on the board, I figured that's what it might be (in both cases). Thanks don.

o

I just moved into a house where there is a keypad outside of the garage door where you can type in a code and it will open and close the door. The previous owners did not leave the manual, so I have no idea how to change the code. Does anyone know how to do this, or where I could find the instructions online?

o

On the back of your motor unit near where all those white wires go you will find a smart/learn button. Press and immediately release this and then walk over to your keypad and put in any 4 digit code you like and press enter. If everything is working okay you should be set.

o

I have a sears craftsman garage door opener (old). When trying to lower, it stops very quickly and goes back up, even with the door detached. I checked there aren't any external sensors.

o

Wish you had included a model number but: On the rear of the motor unit you should find 'down force' and 'up force' controls' Increase the 'down force' a little at a time and see if the door doesn't work right. There is also a small p.c. board just in front of the motor called an RPM sensor. This will cause the same problem.

o

>>>Wish you had included a model number but:

While getting the model number (139.53500) I reattached the door and adjusted the down force (which Im sure I played with before) and it works fine now, hope it lasts.

o

I have a Door opener model number 139.53627SRT that untill two days ago was working great.

Problem: When you press a button on either the wall or a remote it will only go up (or down) about 8" and then it will reverse and stop where you started. I can keep stopping it during the cycle and it will go up (or down) from the point it stopped in effect I can get full travel but it takes 30 or so cycles. The lights are not flashing.

What I have tried:

Checked both sensors. They both have steady green led's, and when you block them and press the button the lights will flash 10 times and it will not try to move. In other words I think they are ok. I did notice that one sensors light will not go out even if you block the sensor? I am guessing that is normal.

I disconnected the door to see if it was binding up. It seems fine and balanced (it will rest about half way up). I also noticed that the "catch" will do the same thing even without the door attached. It still only moves about 8" and returns.

I played with all the adjustmenst, up and down force and up and down travel without changeing anything.

The drive sprocket on top of the unit seems fine.

Sorry for the book! Any ideas?

o

Sounds like you have a bad RPM sensor board. It is a small p.c. board just in front of the motor.

It is normal for one of the sensor light to stay on.

o

Thanks for the reply!

Today I took the covers off and checked all the plastic gears. All were fine, no stripped teeth or broken parts.

I checked the operation of the limiter switches. The door will move it's 8" back and forth without ever touching them so I adjusted them to make contact and they will stop the door in either direction. So I assume they are ok.

I did pull the gear (or wheel) off the end of the main motor shaft and tried the door with it removed. And it had the exact same symptom. Not sure it that tested anything to do with the RPM sensor or not?

I am leaning toward purchasing a new opener and going from there, but we are trying to sell the house so it would be nice if I could just fix this one.

o

The rpm sensor is very cheap and extremly easy to replace. I would opt to replace the rpm sensor especially if you are moving. Bye the bye no you where not doing any test for the rpm sensor:).

o

Hello -- I'm hoping for some help from you. We have 2 craftsman 1/2 horse power garage door openers model # 139.53635SRT. The day before yesterday I woke up to find them both open and the light to the units on. I hoped that I had opened them and had just forgotten (I'm getting to be that age) so I pushed the button on both units and they closed find. Today I woke up to find then both open again. I tried to unplug both units for a little while and pulled all the batteries out all my remotes. I left the house for an hour and came home to find one door open and the other about half way open. On the back of the unit next to the transmitter push button there is a flashing green light that wont shut off. I don't remember it being on before this. Can you give me any idea what the problem is. Thanks

o

I thin I have a similar problem to others out there but I have not seen a solution in the thread. I have a 3/4 hp opener. My opener was working fine up until last night. It worked when my wife used the remote to open it but when she tried to close it from inside the garage there was just a faint click but no movement in the chain. The lights are on and respond when I hit the light button on the 3 button wall panel. I waited 15 minutes + to see if it would re-set but no go. Again the lights came on when I hit the action button but just that faint click in the motor and nothing else.

any suggestions?

o

Is your door stuck in the open position? If so check to see if the trolley (the thing the door is connected to) is jammed against a bolt just in front of the motor unit. If so, remove the bolt and then close the door. On the side of the motor unit you will find a 'up limit' adjustment. Using a small screwdriver turn this control 3 or 4 turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Remember now to replace the bolt.

o

Have a Craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener which operates a double bay, single door. Model 41A5021-3E with 1 wall mounted transmitter, 1 Keypad, and 2 Remote transmitters. One remote stopped working. Assumed it was the battery and used the keypad to enter until the Keypad stopped working a day later. The second remote still operated without incident. Replaced the battery in the failed remote, and the 9 volt in the Keypad. No success. Tried reprogramming remote and keypad(press and hold both transmitter and reciever buttons until amber light on unit is flashing, release). No success. Light on unit flashes when transmitters are pushed, but does not operate door. Reset by holding in button until light on unit went out. Now both remotes and the keypad will not operate the door, light still flashes when remotes are pushed. The inside wall mount transmitter still operates the door without incident. Any suggestions on how to get remotes and keypad working again? Thanks.

o

I also have a Crafstman 1/2 ton garage door opener. but my problem is a little different. as of a couple of days ago it was working fine, but all of a sudden it just stopped. the two light bulbs don't even work now. I can hear it click to open the door or when I step in front of the sensors, but nothing happens. the LED by the reprogramming button blinks five times over and over again. Has my circuit board gone out? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

o

I have a 139.53627srt that has been working fine. Yesterday it stopped working from both my remotes, but works fine from wall switch. If i put the remotes close to the receiver it works fine, the "learn" light is also constantly flashing. Is this saying that i need to replace my logic board or does it sound like i have another problem? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help.

o

Don,

I checked my sensors to ensure they were aligned, but the problem I'm having still persist. The one thing I noticed this time is that there is an amber light that continues to flash in the back of the receiver logic board assembly--right near the red square. I checked some of the wiring at the sensors, and I tried, but could not get the wires out of the pins in the assembly area, so I'm not sure where the problem lies. The assembly part number is 41A5389B--just in case you ask. :-)

o

Hi,

I have a 1/2 hp Craftsman garage door opener, that has been working fine for about 10 years now. However, as of this morning, when I open the garage, it just keeps on opening, until the time the latch that is being pulled by the chain assembly rams into the light bulb assembly and comes to a stop. The light bulb assembly cracked. So it seems as if it is unable to come to a stop when opening the garage? The garage closes fine though. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

o

I have a 1/2 HP Craftsman Garage Door Opener that was manufactured in 2003. 3 times in as many weeks, the opener opened the door all by itself, including last night at 3am. Fortunately, I heard it open. I just erased the memory & changed the codes as I had a couple older remotes with fixed codes programmed in. I did this on the off chance that someone nearby had the same code (what are the odds?!). Hoefully this works, but has anyone else had/heard of this problem? Could this be caused by some sort of interference? Thanks!

o

What is the best way to align a safety sensor?

o

I am having the same issue with the door traveling to a certain point and going back up. My sensors are aligned as I have checked them several times. One of the sensors is however only showing an amber light while the other is green. Is this a wiring problem? What is the correct wiring scheme at the door opener? Thanks

o

I have a sears model #139 53513. The opener lowers the door a few inches and then reverses. The LED on the back of the optical sensor flashes non-stop as does the vacation light on the wall control. If I press and hold the wall switch, nothing happens. Is this a bad optical sensor or is there another problem?

o

My Sears 1/2HP opener is jammed open against the stop bolt. I notice reading your responses here Don that in one place you suggest removing the chain from the motor sprocket, operating the motor till the sprocket stops fully CCW(door open position), reattaching the chain to sprocket, then adjusting open/close travel limits.

In another place you suggest removing the stop bolt, then adjusting the travel limits. When is it best to remove the chain and when is it best to remove the stop bolt? Isn't it possible to damage the motor housing if stop bolt is removed with chain attached? What if OPEN TRAVEL LIMIT adjustment was tried before removing chain and left in some unknown maybe shortest travel position? Could this leave the OPEN TRAVEL adjustment less than useful after motor has been reset to fully open using the chain adjust method?

o

I have a craftsman 1/2 HP that's over 10 years old. No problems until today - the unit responds and motor runs when remote is pressed. However, the trolley does not move at all. I can move the trolley and chain manually about an inch or so when the door is released. After doing so, the motor will move the trolley a few inches and then the trolley stops again while the motor continues to run. The light does not blink throughout this process.

o

If you take the cover off I am sure you will find the drive gear is stripped.

o

We have an craftsman gdo that crapped out on us. We replaced the motor with another craftsman 1/2 hp 139.5392OD. We cannot reprogram the Homelinks in our cars or the key pad outside. We have tried everything accept the one that works!! The remote that came with the new opener and the wall mount are the only working openers. When we try to reprogram the keypad and the cars nothing happens, no clicks, no blinking lights, just nothing!!! Are we forgetting to do something or over looking something in the book?

o

Like jrussell789 my 1/2HP opener jammed open against the stop bolt. I removed the chain (and the bolt) from the motor sprocket, and operated the motor till the sprocket stopped, then it jammed against the motor housing. All this happened after 10 years of it operating perfectly.
I've taken the chain off several times and readjusted to open limit to no avail.
What else can I try? Can the limit sensor go bad?

o

I have a Sears Craftsman door opener purchased new from Sears about a year ago and installed myself. It has worked great since day one. However, a couple of days ago when pressing either remote or wall button to close the door, it will sometimes go all the way down and sometimes it goes a little ways down and stops. It remains in that position until pressing the button again and it will only go a few inches and stop again. This repeats until pressing enough times to get the door all the way down. I have checked alignment of sensors and LEDs on the sensors are: green on one and amber on the other. I pressed the "Learn" button on the motor unit and reprogrammed both remotes, the outside keypad, and the wall button as well. After that the door operated just fine for a few test cycles, and then it started it's crap again.....ie: stops at frequent position till eventual pushing the wall button or remotes enough times to eventually get it closed. Any ideas as to what might be the culpret? Thanks for any and all reponses.

o

I also have a problem with a craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp. I obtained it with a new home purchase where the previous residents had installed it in 2004. During inspection and shortly thereafter it worked fine (of course).

Then the remotes started getting a little spotty: it would work after I clicked the button on either of the 2 remotes many times. Note that when I clicked on the mounted open button inside the garage it worked great (and still does). Thinking that it was a problem with the very worn looking remotes I had inherited, I replaced the remotes with a new remote and programmed it according to the instructions. It worked fine for a couple days.

After a couple days, the new remote stopped opening the door from the outside. I tested it with the garage door open so that the remote had a clear line of sight to the opener and it worked like a champ. Close the garage door and try and open it from the outside: no love, doesn't work.

I'm betting I have a problem with the strength of the signal b/w the remote and the receiver in the garage, but what can I do to fix this?

o

Like steelebob (Dec 1 2007) and jrussell789 (Nov 13 2007) my 1/2HP opener jammed open against the stop bolt.
I've taken the chain off several times and readjusted to open limit to no avail. It keeps jamming randomly, sometimes it will open perfectly others it will jam at the bolt or if the bolt is removed it will jam at the motor housing. This unit is more than 10 years old. Is it time to replace?
What else can I try? Can the limit sensor go bad?

o
Trouble codes: craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp

Can anyone please provide the meaning of the "trouble codes" when the green light blinks on Craftsman openers? In other words 1 blink =, 2 blinks =, 3 blinks = , ect. Thanks

o

My Craftsman 1/2HP will not close when it is cold outside. It is a very old unit and does not have sensors. It works fine when it is warm out though. I have to hold the button in the garage until the door is all the way down for it to stay down. I disconnected the door from the motor and it still had the same problem. Is it something with the chain or something else?

o

Craftsman 1/2HP - 139.53677SRT1
Problem started when it was cold outside, garage door would reverse and go back up as it was closing. Eventually the gear / sprocket assembly broke inside the opener. Ordered a new assembly and installed. Now, with the door disconnected, the opener starts, moves the rail about 3-4 inches and then reverses approximately the same, If I manually stop the reverse, it will go another 3-4 inches and reverse the same. The amber indicator on the back flashes flashes five times followed by a long pause and then repeats.

-Limit switches appear to be fine (still plenty of travel left)
-Solid green light on both safety sensors.
-Have tried a range of settings on the force and travel adjs.
-Door is a 2 car, door opens, although it is a little heavy, but problem is present without door engaged.

I have 5+ hours into this and don't want to call for help! Any ideas? Thanks.

o

Make sure you put the black interruptor cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If none of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try.

o

I just bought two used Craftsman 139-5398511 openers and installed them. I did not get a manual. I used the existing wall swith. The issues is that they will not go all the way up and down with the remotes, unless I hold the wall switch. I think I have determined from the post thread that my issue is the sensors (I have them but did not istall - my old one did not have them)

I will put then in but can some one please tell me the proper wiring? There are four inputs for wires on the opener. The color inputs from left to right are:

Red/White/White/Balck

My issue is I will have 6 wires per door:

1. Two wires from wall switch (I will use the new switches)
2. Two wires from the beam sensor
3. Two wires from the receiver sensor.

I know I can play with them until it works but I thought maybe someone knows the wiring to save me the trial and error hassle.

Thanks.

o

I have a Door opener model# 139.53977SRT 1/2 HP I found the light on the sensors are not ON you think I have problem with my sensor or can be the motor, now the door is open if you try to closed make a click noise and the ligth start to blink if I leave the push button on the door close and then I can open the door with the remote but one time is open I can't close the door with the remote.

Any Help Thanks

o

Posted by columbusbryan (My Page) on Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 8:46

Craftsman 1/2HP - 139.53677SRT1
Problem started when it was cold outside, garage door would reverse and go back up as it was closing. Eventually the gear / sprocket assembly broke inside the opener. Ordered a new assembly and installed. Now, with the door disconnected, the opener starts, moves the rail about 3-4 inches and then reverses approximately the same, If I manually stop the reverse, it will go another 3-4 inches and reverse the same. The amber indicator on the back flashes flashes five times followed by a long pause and then repeats.
-Limit switches appear to be fine (still plenty of travel left)
-Solid green light on both safety sensors.
-Have tried a range of settings on the force and travel adjs.
-Door is a 2 car, door opens, although it is a little heavy, but problem is present without door engaged.

I have 5+ hours into this and don't want to call for help! Any ideas? Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
RE: craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by don_1_2006 (My Page) on Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 17:00

Make sure you put the black interruptor cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If none of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try.

=********************************************

Don, you are correct, I pulled the motor shaft out further, tighten the retaining clip, put the RPM black cap on the shaft and it worked. If the shaft is not pulled out far enough, the RPM sensor will not register. THANKS!

o

@Don

Yesterday our 10 yr old LiftMaster 41A5021-1B stopped moving the door of our one car garage. Inspite of the usual amount noise coming from the motor, only my manhandling the door in its behalf would allow a semblance of normal action.

Removal of the connection panel revealed a worm gear attached to the chain shaft (41A2817) was stripped nearly completely. Lots of small, plastic shreds all around.

If I replace this gear, what are the chances that the new gear will be shredded in short order by whatever caused the former one to shred?

I am anxious to save ~$180 by not replacing the entire box, but it seems that this condition may be caused by failure of a stall detection mechanism. My door has not been particularly hard to move.. I can move it over its whole travel with one arm. Replacing the gear to only then have to replace the control board would seem to be my gamble, eh?

Sincerely,

o

Took the electronic box + the chain on the rail to a repair place. They fixed it for $72. They said it happens to units 5 to 7 years old, regularly.

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener and I replaced the drive gear roughly a month ago due to it shredding. I went to use the door last night and it would not move. I took the cover off and the drive gear is shredded again. If I replace the drive gear, is there anything I can adjust so it does not destroy my gear? When I replaced it a month ago, it looked to be the original gear, and this opener has to be at least 10yrs old.

o

I'm having trouble w/the chain on our garage door. There is so much slack and sag to it that when opening the door, that location where the cable and chain connect will sometimes catch on the top of the door and get jammed, stopping the door and requiring a push of the remote to reverse it down. Is there any way to take up the slack/sag of the chain? Thanks!

o

I just purchase a craftsman door opener to replace my old broken one so all I did was replaced a little bit newer model from the old one I left all the sensors and hardware untouched, but the opener does not want to accept new codes from my old remotes or the outside one (It opens with the wall control and new remotes jus fine) there is no blinking ligths or clikcs on the motor unit. When I press the learn button it lighs up for about 30 seconds I press the bottom on the remote control, the 4 digit pin but nothing happens does any body know what is going on?
thanks

o

hi,

my landlord just brought over the new garage door openers and did not leave the manul. i have craftsman 13953681b remote. i have 2 doors so a total of 4 remotes. i know to push the learn button on the back of the motor but as far as the remote i dont know what buttons are what other than the one that opens the door of course. i tried to program with out the manuls but i got one to open both doors at the sametime and the rest would open one and close the other.. its soo crazy.. i didnt think it would be this hard. there is no symbols or letters on the front of the remotes other than the word craftsman.. so if anyone could help me it would be ohh so wonderful

crystal

o

Hi - my garage door opener came with the house when I bought it so I don't know how long it's been there but it has been working fine for the 2 years we've lived here. The other day it gave us a problem opening once, then closing (took 2 tries with the button to get it to go). Since then, the door no longer will move with the opener - it is free moving (like it would be if you disengage it from the opener itself). The chain moves back and forth with the door freely when you try to open or close it manually (something I shouldn't be able to do obviously). The motor on the opener runs but it doesn't turn the gear attached to the chain to make the door move. Any help ideas?

o

Hey Everyone!
We're having a problem with our 1/2 hp garage door opener. When we press either one of the remotes, the keyless entry, or the wall remote, the opener definitely gets the signal because the light turns on and it clicks. However, the door won't open. We've had this problem for a while now, but the opener would stop working for a few days, and then all of a sudden we'd get it to work again. this time, it appears to be broken for good. The learn light on the opener itself keeps flashing.
The sensors are definitely aligned; one has an amber light and the other is green.
From what I read in the manual, I'm thinking the logic board might be broken, but I'm really not sure... Please HELP!

o

Hello,
I have a model 13953615SR that I need to reprogram the outside key pad on. The keypad works I am just needing to reprogram it and do not have a manual. After reading all the other postings I now know there is a smart/learn button on the motor. I hit this yellow button and it turns a light red on the PC board. I walk over to the keypad and put 4 different numbers in and the light on the key pad turns red then goes out and the new numbers wont open the door. The old numbers still work. Please any help you can give. Thank you!

o

Hi all, I have a Craftsman 1/2hp model # 139.53650SRT that opens fine but when it closes the door will get to about 1 foot from closing then torque or push up on the travel bar an violently slam shut. Any ideas how to fix ?? Lmk- Thanks

o

I have a craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener and the keyless entry pad has stopped working. I have replaced the battery and the light flashes but will no longer open the door. One of my remotes still works and the the button that is hardwired works as well. Any ideas on how to reprogram the keypad? Thanks.

o
Craftsman GDO 1/2 hp

I have a craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener (model # 139.53978SRT) and the keyless entry pad has stopped working. I have replaced the battery and the light flashes but will no longer open the door. One of my remotes still works and the the button that is hardwired works as well. Any ideas on how to reprogram the keypad? Thanks.

o

Hi!

This has all been great information, however, the issue i have, is the door opens fine, but it appears to be opened further and thus when i try to close the door it starts and you hear it trying to push on the door and finally starts to close. then it stops. if i push the button again it will close fine, but the rubber belt with the notches in it has a lot of slack. how can i properly adjust this so the door does open beyond the point where the motor won't be able to close it?

o

I recently had to open my garage door (Sears 1/4 Horsepower) after a hurricane when we had no power. Now it will only open 1/2 way and then stop. It appears to still be on track and even when we take it off/put it back on the guide it still won't go any farther than 1/2 way. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

o

Our door was making a lot of squealing noise - especially upon closing. We lubed the chain, rail & the wheel with white lithium grease. Now it is perfectly quiet upon opening, but really noisy (squealing) upon close... plus, you have to hold the button down throughout the closing to get it to keep going down, otherwise it stops and goes back up. What can we do? Thanks!

o

If you are thinking about replacing the logic board, I can tell you where NOT to buy it. I recently bought one from Ontario Supply in New York from their web site for $60. Unfortunately, it has turned out to be defective and they won't refund my purchase price even though I sent the defective unit back at my own cost. So, don't buy from them, they don't deal fairly in my opinion. I think you're best off just calling a local repair service and let them replace the board. If you replace the board yourself and it does not work, you're just going to end up calling a repair service anyway.

o

Sounds like your logic board might be going on the fritz. If you think you might want to replace it yourself, I can tell you where NOT to buy it. I recently bought one from Ontario Supply in New York from their web site for $60. Unfortunately, it has turned out to be defective and they won't refund my purchase price even though I sent the defective unit back at my own cost. So, don't buy from them, they don't deal fairly in my opinion. I think you're best off just calling a local repair service and let them replace the board. If you replace the board yourself and it does not work, you're just going to end up calling a repair service anyway. Ontario Supply operates under the following web sites:

http://www.wholesalegaragedoorparts.com

and

http://www.liftmasterpartsonline.com/

In my opinion, you should avoid this company

o
RE: Outside panel will not open craftsman 1/2 hp

Hello,

I have the CraftMan 1/2hp garage door opener. everything works great except for not being able to open the door from the outside panel. I have replace the battery and that doesn't seem to fix it. I noticed the led light on one of the sensors on the bottom of the rail is amber, while the other is green. Please advise.

Tahnks

o

It may have just quit but you can try programming it. Locate the smart/learn button on the back of the motor unit. It is near where all those white wires go. Press and immediately release the smart/learn button and then walk over and key in your 4 digit code and press enter. It's worth a try.

o

I need to replace the gear kit in my garage opener. Any suggestions on where I can purchase the kit? Thanks.

o

You should be able to puchase them from sears. write down the model #, and bring it with you and they should be able to look it up and get it ordered.

o

The gear kit is part number 41A2817 and is available from any door service company.

o

I have a 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener. I'm not sure of the year but it was installed in a newly renovated house I just bought and looks brand new. The opener is in the up position and when I try to put it down it looks as if the opener tries to pull the door UP further and then the light blinks over and over again. I have tried messing with the UP and DOWN dials and it does the same thing. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

o

If it is the main light that is blinking it is a door sensor problem. Make sure they are pointed at one another and the small light on each one is lit.

o

i had the same problem of the door only moving down about 8 inches at a time. to fix this you have to play around with the down force control on the very back of the motor housing. turn it to its weakest setting and test it. keep adjusting it VERY slightly until the door closes all the way without a problem. after that you may still need to adjust it slightly over the next few days... but then it should be fixed.

o

Hello,
I recently bought a 139.53879 remote off of ebay and I am trying to learn how to program it.
I have my own remote that works fine, and I bought this remote to place in car #2 now and I want to know how to program it (and of course to be able to use both remotes still.)
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks!

(I have no manual for anything, when I bought the house it already had the garage door installed.)

o

I also have a 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener, several years old and working fine untill today. Both of the remote openers stopped working at the same time so I know it's not batteries but when pushing the remote buttons the main lights flash a few times quickly and the unit clicks like it's trying to open. I can use the wall mounted button to open and close the door no problem so I know it's not the door or the motor but some issue with the wireless response from the remotes. I also noticed that wall mounted button which stays lighted is now flickering constantly and non-stop. I can't locate my manual on this model so I really don't know how to trouble shoot without the risk of screwing something else up. Any suggestions?

o

On your wall control there is a lock button. Press and hold it for 3 seconds. The light should stop flickering and your remotes should work.

o

It was so simple as they say, "if it woulda been a snake......"

Thanks Don

o

My garage door opener opened the garage door and then would not pull it down. It it trying to pull, but I think the gear could be stripped. Could this be the case? If so, do I need to buy a new opener? Could I get it repaired? Can I repair it myself? Any information is appreicated. Thanks.

o

If you remove the cover you will be able to see the gear and it should be obvious if it is stripped. The part number is 41A2817 and is available at Sears parts or any door service company. It comes with instructions.

o
craftsman GDO 1/2 hp remote controls won't work.

Both of my remote controls stopped working at the same time. I replaced the batteries but nothing. The switch on the wall works fine. I have tried reseting the box on the smart button but the light won't blink at the end of the process it will just turn off. I can't find my manual, please help. Thanks,

o

If you have the wall control with 3 buttons locate and hold in the button with the lock for 3 seconds. I don't know what you mean by "resetting the box on the smart button."

o

Don, thanks for your prompt reply. There is only one button on the wall Control. I mean the "learn" button that you use to re-program the motor unit. I've erased all the codes and when I try to re-program my remote controls nothing happens. I have the three button remote controls.

o

Try programming with this method if you haven't already. Press and hold the large button on your remote and then press and immediately release the smart/learn button. Do this with both your remotes. If this doesn't work the odds are your logic board has failed.

o

I will try programming with your method tonight, but I'm pretty sure the logic board has failed. What do I need to do if that is the case?

o

The logic board runs around $80.00 so it really depends on the age of your opener. Not much more and you can replace the whole thing.

o

I bought it in 2007. How long is the warranty on these things? It would make sense to buy a new unit like you say.

o

90 days except for the motor.

o

Don, you are "Da man", your programming method worked. Thanks for your help.
The programming instructions on the actual unit are incorrect. Craftsman needs to revise their programming instructions and include yours on all of their manuals.
Have a great day.

o

I have a problem that seems different than the previously posted ones. Just recently the garage door opener has been erratic. The sensors are properly aligned, and electricity is getting to the unit because the light always comes on when either the remote or wall mounted button are pushed. Sometimes it works perfectly, and may do so many days in a row. Then neither the remote, nor the wall mounted hard-wired opener prompt the garage door opener, but the light comes on. When I have the problem, it is completely silent. No clicks, nothing... the light comes on but that's it. The next day it may work, or it may be like that for days. Or it might work the very next time you press the wall control or remote. When it does work, it works perfectly... no funny noises, no stopping partway. So it's either perfect, or the garage door motor isn't engaged/activated at all. The garage door opener is relatively new, about 3 years old, maybe less. We'd hate to have to replace it already. Can anyone give us any ideas how to fix this?

o

I have a craftsman Door opener (41A5389B). Just moved into this house. Door does not operate.
Each sensor has a light. One is steady green, the other flashing yellow.
I realigned the sensors, now the sensor that was flashing is now steady yellow, not green.

What is a guy to do? Your help would be appreciated.

trouter

o

I just bought a house that has a Craftsman 1/2 hp opener
Model number 139.53647SRT1. The opener is not connected to the door - the previous owner said he disconnected it because the opener was not working. When I push the button to start the opener, the chain moves about 2 feet and automatically returns to where it started from. (I still don't have the door connected to the opener as I can not find the piece that connects the opener to the door)
Any ideas if this sounds fixable????

Thanks for any help!!

o

It sounds like the door sensors are not working. Check to make sure they are installed and pointing at one another. They often get bumped out of alignment and all it takes is tweaking them. Each one of them has a small light that has to be lit. One of them will have a light that is on all the time and the light on the other one will only light when they are properly aligned. If this doesn't help you post back and let me know where we are regarding the sensors and we will try some more.

o

Thanks for the quick reply!!!
I checked the sensors and they are tight and
are both green and I had my neighbor put his hand in front of one of the sensors - when I pushed the button the lights began to blink as I think it is supposed to, so I assume that the sensors are OK.

o

Okay the next thing is a small printed circuit board just in front of the motor. There is a black plastic cup on the end of the motor shaft that turns inside an infrared detector that is part of that circuit board. If the plastic cup is not on the shaft all the way or the circuit board is bad you will have the problem you describe. The board is called an RPM sensor. You can get the board at Sears or any good door opener service company.

o

Thank you very much !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the black plastic cup needed to be pushed a little bit
on to the shaft - seems to work OK. All I need to do now is to get the arm that connects the door to the opener and make some adjustments.
How do I keep the black plastic cup from becoming loose in the future???

o

If that black plastic cup moves again it means the motor shaft is shifting when it is running. Someone may have replaced the white nylon gear and not done it right.

The gear kit comes with 2 gears and some other parts that go on the motor shaft. One of those parts is a coupler. Loosen that coupler and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener model 139.53985. When the garage door was open and the light beam was interrupted between the safety sensors, the opener lights used to come on, now that doesn't happen. The sensors appear to be aligned correctly, when I wave my hand between them, the green light on the receiving sensor goes out. The lights work fine and as they should otherwise. Any suggestions?

o

You must have the three function wall switch. This means that in addition to a button that opens and closes the door, there are two other buttons on the same wall switch. One is marked LIGHT and the other is marked LOCK.

To turn this feature on, turn the lights on manually with the wall switch, then press and hold the LIGHT button for about 10 seconds until the motor unit light bulbs flash.

Now, if the light bulbs are on, manually turn them out and then walk out through the open door. The light bulbs should come on.

To disable this feature, start with the light bulbs OFF and everything else is the same.

o

My Craftsman 1/2 hp won't close the door. It was working fine until we had a power outage a few days ago. All the sensors and switches check out OK. If I hand crank the motor until the door goes down slightly, and hit the switch, it will operate and take the door back up and stop. But when I hit the switch again all I get is a click and the door won't move.

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated!
Thanks, Nigel

o

Is the trolley jamming against the bolt just in front of the motor unit? If so remove the bolt and run the opener until the door is closed. Now you will find a control on the side of the motor unit labeled 'up limit'. Turn this about 3 turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Be sure to replace the bolt.

o

Don, thanks for the reply:
No, the door stopped in its normal open position, before it gets to the bolt. But when I try to close the door I just get a click from the box but the door doesn't move.

o

I made a detailed web page with the scanned in instruction sheets, large photos, sources to buy the gear, etc. on how to replace the stripped gear.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1347192/lifter/liftmaster_repair.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Craftsman garage door opener gear replacement

o

I have a 5 year old Craftsman opener, and it is acting weird. When you open the door, it goes all the way up, hits the stop, and then it comes back down about a foot. At that point, the motor re-engages and pulls the door back up and then it stays. This doesn't happen every time, but just about 50% of the time. When it does happen, the lights blink, indicating some sort of trouble. My question is, could this be the springs (also 5 years old), or is this some sort of motor adjustment.

Thanks

o

I installed a new 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener. The door travels all the way down but once it hits the floor it will go all the way back to the top, it doesn't stop. The trolley goes all the way from one carriage bolt to the other. I need help!

o

My 15-yr-old Craftsman 53635SRT opener suddenly stopped working today. The unit clicks twice when the control button is pressed, but neither the light nor the motor will operate. The unit has power, and the sensors are aligned. I removed the chain and still nothing.

o

I just purchased and installed a Sears model 139.53915d 315mhz garage door opener I read the instructions throughly twice and got everything together. When I press either the remote or the wall switch the door travels about 1 foot and stops. If i push the button again it travels the same distant in the oposite direction. Both sensor light are lit and not flashing,the unit if not indicating any errors via flashing a code. Im sure its something I have overlooked. It is a belt drive

o

The motor runs but the drive gear for the chain does not move. Is there a shear pin involved?

o

I have a 1/2 HP and the door seems to be working properly all except for the fact that once it raches the ground it automatically springs back up and there is nothing we can do to stop it. The sensor lights are both green and look to be operating propeerly. I've messed with the controls some and nothing seems to help. The green ligh on the device is flashing five times. Any guidance? Thanks!

o

I have a 1/2 HP and the door seems to be working properly all except for the fact that once it raches the ground it automatically springs back up and there is nothing we can do to stop it. The sensor lights are both green and look to be operating propeerly. I've messed with the controls some and nothing seems to help. The green ligh on the device is flashing five times. Any guidance? Thanks!

o

We have a 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener. However, the transmitter in the car no longer opens the door. We put a new battery in the transmitter but it still won't open the door. The two buttons in the garage work fine. The code probably got changed when the door was worked on yesterday, but I don't know where to look for the radion controls on this unit. I assume it is in the housing where the double lights are because I see the antenna sticking out. The instruction book I have is for an older model and says the radion controls are installed on the garage wall. Ours are not so I am assuming they are in the unit itself. Please walk me through how to get the two codes in agreement.
Thanks, Vi

o

Craftsman gd opener stopped working. It went up, but wouldn't go back down. Power to it okay, but nothing moving. Any ideas as to what happened. It had been working okay until now.

o

Recent problems with my 1/2 hp craftsman opener had me replace the chain sprocket, worked fine. Now I can't seem to get electric to the unit, check power supply line, it's OK but the unit will not power up when plugged in. Sometimes a good whack with the broom got the electric on but it turns off after a few minutes, now that doesn't even work. Any suggestions?

o

I have 2 garage door openers. One on left works with wall unit and 1 remote. Second remote does not work. I installed new battery and tried to program according to the manual.The light below srt lights but the door will not open. I have the same problem with both remotes for other door

o

When pushed the door starts to go down and stops. no flashing lights ,push again and it contiues down. it does the same thing when down, starts up and stops. push again and it continues up. it does not appear to be a sensor problem. any ideas?

o

my craftsman 1/2 chain drive wants to start with a close every time i hit the button, it then only opens 1-2 inches. The down force is medium and the up force is at max....any suggestions

o

Okay here's my problem. The door was working fine up until a few weeks ago. Now, it opens fine, but the only way I can get it to close is to hold the button down the entire time it closes. Pressing the remote or wall button causes the door to start to close, but it immediately goes back up. I have checked the sensors repeatedly, but have solid green light indicators. I have also adjusted the downward force, no change.

Any suggestions??

o

Our unit starts to raise/lower the garage door & stops. The light bulb blinks, applying steady pressure (press/release, repeat)on the keypad we can finally get the door down. We have checked the sensors, the gears, adjusted downward/upward force but nothing has changed. We are able to close the door manually. The unit was built 2005, #41A5021-3H315 Craftman 1/2HP. Any suggestions or do we need a new unit?

o

victor door & don 1,

Please have a look at the post by kate & her referred 'other forum post' (also included) below.
They prove to be excellent and solve the same problem I have as yours after replacing the gear. I hope others like me & vic will find it useful and save a lot of troubleshooting pains.

http://www.diyforums.net/changing-gear/shaft-assembly-on-chain-drive-opener-184.html

http://www.fixya.com/support/t8862954-craftsman_139_53600_replace

o

Same problem as sertetha and sherdawg at about the same date (bad stars?). Acts like the safety sensors are not aligned. [41A4315-7A circa 1994] After painting garage this occurred but not aware of hitting safety sensors. Lenses are clean. But just in case they were kicked out of whack.... How do you line these lights up? Hate to call a garage door guy in just to adjust these sensors.

o

i also have a 1/2hp and i'm having the same issues. the senors are tight and lights are steady. i have disconnected the door from the traveler and door works fine. travel still stop at invertels and i have keep pushing the close button. i've also adjusted the force down button with no luck. any suggestion.
thanks

o

I adjusted the up/down limits and force limits on my craftsman and every thing works fine the only issue is that the indicator light flashes 5 time pauses the flashed a again. It is trying to tell me something but I am to dumb to know what.... can you help, something will eventually brake if I don't fix this light.

o

I had the same problem. I first applied more grease to the rail. Then tightened the chain that had some slack. Problem still there. Next I adjusted the down force limit. All the way to max! It would still reverse even though the optical sensors were lined up and both green lights were on. I gave up and bought a new opener. I used the existing optical sensors to save time on installation. Now the new opener acted the same as the old one. So I changed the optical sensors and the door operates fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here