Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
montrota_gw

What color roof should I put on?

montrota
12 years ago

I am debating between GAF mission brown and the Landmark weathered wood. My house is brown with brown trim. I would post a picture but I can't figure out how :)!

Tks!

Comments (7)

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

Very basically, a dark colored roof adsorbes the sun's heat while a light colored roof is more apt to repel the heat from the sun. Consider a light tan roof.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

If live in a heavy air conditioning environment and want to reduce your carbon footprint, put on a "cool roof", probably white metal.

• montrota
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've seen a roof on a few houses that kind of looks brown, tan, gray and blue. Any idea what color that might be?

• Cindi_KS
    12 years ago

Tamko's Heritage Mountain Slate.
    Betcha.

• GrayBB
    11 years ago

I am having the same problem!! We just bought this tudor style home in Denver, CO. The sellers are replacing the roof before we move in. We get to choose from GAF timberline roofing shingles. Help, what color should we choose? I feel like charcoal will be too dark and contrasting. Please give me any advice, suggestions that you might have.
    Thank you in advance.

• stellawinslet
    11 years ago

I personally prefer the certainteed version of weathered wood based on color as Weathered Wood is an earth tone shingle and should go well with most browns and looks the best. But its all up to you and your taste.

• jonw9
    11 years ago

I would like to join in this as well. We are about to close on a home with defective organic Certainteed shingles, and will be replacing ASAP. We have been thinking about GAF Timberline as well. I thought about the Cool Weather Wood. Living in Michigan, I am not sure if the savings would be justified.

Secondly, I don't know if there is enough contrast with the tan of the brick. I don't want the place to look like a cardboard box.

The other colors I am leaning towards are the Golden Harvest[American Harvest line](Tan, but with some blues and oranges) or maybe the Barkwood [Natural Shadow or HD line] (for a darker contrast).

Thanks in advance, and you have a great site that I have been using heavily for the last couple of months.

Here is a link that might be useful: GAF Timberline Series