Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdwin19

garage door opener problems

bdwin19
18 years ago

i moved into a house with a 2 car door garage with a craftsman 139.53629SRT 1/2 HP. i am guessing this unit is at least 7-8 years old. sometimes the doors would not open. i knew to check the sensors. i noticed the previous owner mickey moused the wire on one of the sensors, but i could get it to work. this lasted for months. recently, the same thing happened, but i could not get the wire to connect to the sensor. so, i bought replacement sensors at sears (they told me they were compatible-they sold me #41A4373A infared sensor kit), put them in right (i think), tried lining up the sensors, but they would not light up. is it the wire going back to the main unit? am i just not lining them up right? maybe they aren't compatible? the door does open manually. very frustrated.

the other garage door is now opening about 6 inches, then stopping and closing on its own, then opens again. one of the lights is lit up on the sensor, but the other isn't. despite being 2 separate units for the two doors, when one of them is on the fritz, the other becomes a problem too.

please help and thank you!

Comments (33)

• Don_
    18 years ago

Make sure you have the wires connected correctly to the new sensors. One of the wires to each sensor is solid white and the other is white with a black tracer. It will not work if they are not correct.

The other door sounds like the sensors are not properly aligned. Tweak them until both lights are on.

• davidandkasie
    18 years ago

if the door comes UP 6 inches then closes on its own, it needs to be adjusted. goto sears.com and check for the owners manual for your door. the house we just bought was the same way and all it took was getting the speed and force set properly. the problem is the door thinks it is hung on something and therefore closes to prevent damage or injury. when set properly, the door should reverse travel, whether going up OR down, when it encounters a set level of resistance.

as to the sensor, you should get lights on both sets. is it possible that the sensors are wired in series, so that if either one trips it locks out BOTH doors? if so, then they need to be totally redone. not a big deal, it should not take more than 30 minutes to rip it and re-install. one set to each opener.

• Don_
    18 years ago

The door opener will not reverse direction when it is opening. If it meets an obstruction of any kind on the way up it will simply stop. It is only during down travel that the door reverse safeties come into play. Think about it, no kids or pets ever get squashed when the door is opening. They just get pushed out of the way. Try it.

• davidandkasie
    18 years ago

mine does. if i hit the button to open it, then grab the door, it will stop for a couple of seconds then close. i have the same openers as the original poster.

• Don_
    18 years ago

davidandkasie, you have a problem. I suggest you call for service.

• davidandkasie
    18 years ago

it double checked it last night and it only reverses if it is stopped at about a foot or less. any higher and it just stops. if you break the beam it will also stop and stay put, but only if it is less than 2/3 the way open.

i guess i will get the book out and see if it is mis-adjusted. i can't believe the guy who owned the house actually kept up with, and gave me, the books on the openers and a few other appliances.

• wwetzel
    18 years ago

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp, mfg in 6/93, model 139.53636srt, anyway, lighting hit close by, but nothing else was harmed by my door opener, it will not open or turn on light, Things checked: Has power, push green button on side and released quickly, used door opener, little green light on side of opener blincked?, but nothing happened, checked door senors, they have no green light, know one change position or anything else, My wife is going to kill me, if I don't get this fixed. Help Boys & Girls

• dizzne
    18 years ago

Just bought a used Craftsman Model # 139.53225SRT Door Opener. Indoor push button and remote will open the door with one push. Remote will NOT shut door at all. Push button will shut door only if button is held in until door closes completely.

• Don_
    18 years ago

dizzne did you get the sensors that go in the doorway? They are rectangular plastic boxes with what looks like a camera lens on one end. If you got them you need to install them. If you didn't get them you will need to buy them. You will need the sensor kit #41A4373A and the sensor hardware kit #41A4116 both available from Sears.Com. If you didn't get the owners manual you should order #114A1903. It will lead you through the installation of these parts.

• Don_
    18 years ago

wwentzel. You can try unplugging the unit and pulling off the end where all those white wires go. That is the end with the logic board. Check that board for burned and missing circuit traces. I'm afraid there may be a new opener in your wifes future.

• dizzne
    18 years ago

Don
    We do have the sensors and we have them facing each other.(very close together) We want to make sure it works before we install it. Do they need to be a minimum distance apart for it to operate. We do not have the instruction manual for this unit so we are not sure how to proceed. Thanks

• Don_
    18 years ago

Make sure the small light is lit on both sensors and also that you wired them correctly. The terminal board on the back of the motor unit is numbered and color coded. The white wire with the red tracer from the wall button goes to terminal 1. The white wire from the wall button and both white wires from the door sensors go to terminal 2. The two white wires with the black tracer go to terminal 3. Also on the back of the unit near where all those wires go you will find two controls marked 'force.' Turn the 'down force' about 1/4 turn clockwise and try. This control is critical because it affects the safety reversing sensor. It should only be set high enough to close the door consistently. The instructions for setting this control should be covered in the owners manual. Let me know how you get along.

• knhluau_aol_com
    17 years ago

Hi,
    My receiving sensor's wire connection is intermittent.
    If the wire gets jiggled it loses connection.
    2 wires coming out of the wall have been crimped to the wires going into the sensor.
    The sensor is molded plastic with no way to open it up without breaking it.
    I'd like to re-crimp the connections.
    Is the current in the wire AC and dangerous?
    If that doesn't work do I need to buy a set of sensors?
    Thanks!

• billybatson28_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

I too have the 139.53629srt. Had problem once where door would stop immediately upon closing..would just stop. Light blinks about 6-7 times. I somehow fixed it. I did see sensor light on one side was off when problem happened again. Can't get it to go on now...detached other sensor and brought them together to see if it will work. What is likelihood sensor went bad? Do down pressure dial have anything to do with the sensor, because I messed with that too. Thanks!

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

Sensors do go bad. It is a fairly common problem. That adjustment has no affect on the sensors.

• jrad13
    16 years ago

lightning strike blasted a tre on my property 20 yds from my garage.. this AM the sensros were dead? The unit seems fine, tries to start clsoing garage once it opened but with no sensors it acts like there is something between them preventing cicuit from closing - hence the door will not close.. it immediately stopsp and the unit clicks rapidly... will replacing the sensors cure it, or is the unit fried somehow? OR can i override the sensros somehow? Thanks!!

• ronsis
    13 years ago

craftsman opener. door will not close when its warm outside or sunlight is shining on sensors. SOMETIMES it will close when shadowing the sensor. door works fine all other times. what do you think??? . thanks so much.........ron.

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

Certain times of the year the sun can shine directly on a sensor and cause the problem you are having. You can trade the position of the sensors or you can sometimes use the tube in the center of a roll of toilet tissue to shade them.

• patti_guest_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a Craftsman Garage door opener (probably 12+ years old) The wires that go into the Terminal 2 sensor broke off right at the connection. What is the name of the piece that fits into the sensor and where can I get one? It looks like the piece that fits into the wall on a telephone line. Thanks in advance.

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

I don't think you will find that little plug anywhere. The wiring to the sensors has changed and that plug hasn't been used for years. You will probably have to replace the sensors. They are available at Sears or any good door opener service company. You will need your model number which is located on the end of the opener nearest the door and starts with 139.

• eye_hair_skin_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Ihave a 1/2 hp craftsman opener.There when I bought my house.Worked good for the first year but then it started to open and close on its own.A light flashes on the back of the opener and it makes a clicking noise.Anyone know what might be wrong with it or know how i could fix it?

• Marcello333
    12 years ago

I have the same problem with a Craftsman garage door opener that several other members have. I replaced the large nylon drive gear and after reinstalling the motor & chain per Sears instructions, the door moves up about 1ft and then reverses down about 1ft and stops. The sensors are both lit. The black interrupter cap is intact on the end of the motor shaft. I have not looked yet for the RPM sensor, but after finding it, how will I know if it is defective? Any other ideas? This seems to be a common problem. Thanks

• Marcello333
    12 years ago

Regarding my post of Apr 30, 11:
    Is the rotation of the large nylon gear, either clockwise or counterclockwise, as seen from the bottom or from the top of the opener? I assume it is from the bottom, but no one mentions this.
    Thanks

• Marcello333
    12 years ago

Regarding my first two posts above....I checked and the Sensor board is inn place and seems to be fine. Is there some way to test it?
    Thanks

• stanleytapp
    12 years ago

Fuel the garage door with the lubricating oil which you use in the vehicle with petrol. That would be the best.

• Marcello333
    12 years ago

stanleytapp:
    Do not understand your suggestion.
    Please don't post nonsense.
    Marshall

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

• fjleduc_rogers_com
    12 years ago

Lower two vinyl door pannels were pushed in a little. I straightened them out. The door will close but it reverses about 6 inches from the ground. Changed the UP control to Max but dit not help.
    Requesting suggestions.
    Fred

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

My first suspicion is that it is binding when it gets to that area. Release the opener from the door and operate it by hand. There may be more than just a couple pushed in panels.

• concha_180com_net
    12 years ago

My garage door will open from the inside with the opener but upon returning home the door opens like 5 inches and stops. I have to push the button 5 or 6 times to get the door up. I have extended the antenna, reprogramed the remote and now out of options. What next. Thanks.

• connermcfadden_gmail_com
    12 years ago

My garage door will not open unless I hold down the remote button for roughly a minute. The door takes just as long if I use the remote or the garage button. The whole time it makes a noise as if it wants to open but does not. Once I use pull the safety cord and then re-lock the door, it opens right up...until the next time I try to use it.

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

What is the model number?

• Lonnie64
    10 years ago

Brand new Craftsman 1/2 HP opener closes than reopens right away.