Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you tell me what this is?

Posted by trifles (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 20:57

Tore off some damaged tile and drywall and found this behind it (next to a shower stall that had a leaking double track door). I don't find pictures of dry rot that resemble this (though that's what we suspect), and I'm wondering what we're dealing with here. Has anyone seen this before, and if so - what is it, and what needs to be done? It's hard to the touch and crumbly. Thanks for any help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you tell me what this is?

Looks like some kind of insect damage, like carpenter ants.
Casey

o

Oh, for heaven's sake! We never considered it might be critters. Thanks, Casey!

o

Termites? I don't know but I'd bet its insect damage. Yikes!

o

Looks like termites or similar to me. You should get a pest inspector in to check for more damage, and whether they are still active.

o

Looks like subterranean termites, they come up through the plumbing near wet areas. Are you on a slab? If so they come up where the piping comes through the slab. Will need to treat and depending on the damage to the wood replacement may be required.

Normally the damage is localized not throughout the house.

o

It's definitely termites. The extent of the overall damage will depend on how far away this is from the edge of the building.
If this is in the middle of the house, then they;ve been eating since they got in at the houses edge.
Did you have an incident where flying insects were in the house. Or did you see insect wings laying all around with some bugs walking . If so, you had a termite swarm. That's when the reproductive males and females breakout to find new places to build a nest.
Ron

o

This is so fascinating. That wall area is just a couple of feet from the exterior of the house. Here's hoping... I have a pest inspector scheduled for tomorrow morning. Thanks, everyone! (Don't remember a swarm...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here