Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Install flagstone on top of concrete.

Posted by brusso (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 05 at 20:45

Latest project is to lay flagstone on top of the concrete landing at the top of the steps. It is a 4 x 8 landing. I plan to use regular portland cement, loosely mixed then push the pieces in it and let dry. I am not certain how to do the 'grout' part. Should that be cement too? I have seen some finished projects that seem to have a type of gray rubbery type of grout between the peices. Anyone know of the best way to do this?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Install flagstone on top of concrete.

I just had a flagstone patio done over existing exposed aggregate. They poured the cement individually for each stone they laid. I didn't want regular gray colored grout; I wanted a warmer color that would compliment the warm tones of the stones. There is a color additive (powder form) that you can buy to mix into your grout mixture. Only three choices: tan, terra cotta or black. I chose the tan and I believe the basic "grout" was regular cement. When it dried, it was very sandy in texture. You can always ask someone at your local home improvement center what to use to grout flagstone.

o

Use thinset mortar to set the stone. I prefer the kind used for marble in outdoor applications. It retains flexibility over time, so it can respond to hot/cold cycles. Make sure the substrate is clean, and consider using a bonding agent. If the stone is porous you should seal them before grouting. Use a quality sanded grout with some bonding agent admix (unless proscribed) in any of the many colors available.

o

You should pay special attention to the type of concrete used. Visit www.menaisandsoil.com.au for more details on concreting in general

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here