Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mldiggs

Gutters Now? Roof in a Few Years?

mldiggs
14 years ago

We need to replace our gutters before Fall. It's a long story involving a shady contractor and a lawsuit. Regardless of the melodrama, we need new gutters before the rain returns, but we also know that we will need a new roof in 3-5 years.

I have always heard that it's good to do roof and gutters at the same time, but is it essential? If we just do the gutters now, will we need to replace them again in 5 years when we replace the roof, or will an damage be done to the gutters in the roof replacement process?

Comments (9)

• sdello
    14 years ago

for full roof replacement it is often necessary to remove the gutters. Aluminum gutters will likely get bent and damaged during the removal process and may or may not be salvagable. Because of this, If you have seamless aluminum gutters most roofers want to replace when they re-roof.

Vinyl, wood, copper, gutters can likely be removed and salvaged without too much difficulty but the roofer may charge more because of the additional effort/care required during the old roof rip-off phase.

Hope this helps.

• Chris Dionisio
    8 years ago

Ml diggs, I'm curious what you ended up doing? I'm in the exact same situation...

• Ichabod Crane
    8 years ago

Make sure you write the roof replacement contract so that if any damage is done to the gutters, they fix it.

• GreenDesigns
    8 years ago

And be willing to pay the premium associated with that clause. There is a reason that projects have an order of operations.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

If you will need a roof in 3 years - why not replace it now?

• Chris Dionisio
    8 years ago

It's a long story...The original plan was to do a full paint of the house and new gutters. We asked the painters to take off the gutters so they could paint behind them. The gutter guys came to do the gutters and told us that our roof was shot (but they only do aluminum roof, which I didn't want to do). If I were to do the roof, I'd have them blow in new insulation while the roof is opened up. Doing the full paint, gutters, roof and insulation is definitely not in our reno budget for this year. I had to pick and choose and since the gutters were already off, we decided to do the gutters and wait on the roof and insulation til next year.

• GreenDesigns
    8 years ago

Why does the sheathing need to come off??? Is it all rotten? Why can't you just re-roof and insulate later the normal way, from inside the attic? And do the gutters at the same time as the roof. Insulation is an easy, albeit hot and dirty, task.

• Chris Dionisio
    8 years ago

They don't know if the sheathing is rotten. It might be or might not be. I would rather insulate from the outside. My children's bedrooms are in the attic and I don't want a dirty mess in the attic from insulating from the inside.

• Fori
    8 years ago

My roof was replaced without replacing gutters. I'm sure it depends on all sorts of things whether or not it makes sense; ours is a one-story with heavy shakes and no sheathing. Or insulation.... :P