Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water on bottom side of gutter

Posted by daved314 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 20:18

Hi,

I've noticed that when it rains typically water collects on the bottom side of my gutter. I first realized it when I saw that the stone step in front of my porch was wet long after it rained and even when it didn't rain in many cases.

The water falling on the step was dripping from the gutter near an outside miter so I sealed the miter the best I could.

It finally rained for a while today and I noticed that there were water droplets along the entire length of the gutter (see attached photograph). Is this normal? My step was once again wet but it may not have been as bad as it had been in the past. Over the winter I was constantly fighting ice forming on the step and I want to ensure that does not happen again this year.

Any advise?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water on bottom side of gutter

Start by running the hose in all gutters and checking for trash including downspouts. After everything is clean,see if water ponds anywhere. If so the gutters need remounted and leveled. Come back after that.

o
RE: Water on bottom side of gutter

When it rains, some drops fall in the gutter, some miss the gutter, and some hit precisely at the gutter edge, and run down the outside. If you have low spots where you have indicated in the photos, water would tend to accumulate there for a while. I don't think its a big deal if there are no other obvious issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here