Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daved314

Water on bottom side of gutter

daved314
9 years ago

Hi,

I've noticed that when it rains typically water collects on the bottom side of my gutter. I first realized it when I saw that the stone step in front of my porch was wet long after it rained and even when it didn't rain in many cases.

The water falling on the step was dripping from the gutter near an outside miter so I sealed the miter the best I could.

It finally rained for a while today and I noticed that there were water droplets along the entire length of the gutter (see attached photograph). Is this normal? My step was once again wet but it may not have been as bad as it had been in the past. Over the winter I was constantly fighting ice forming on the step and I want to ensure that does not happen again this year.

Any advise?

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• klem1
    9 years ago

Start by running the hose in all gutters and checking for trash including downspouts. After everything is clean,see if water ponds anywhere. If so the gutters need remounted and leveled. Come back after that.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

When it rains, some drops fall in the gutter, some miss the gutter, and some hit precisely at the gutter edge, and run down the outside. If you have low spots where you have indicated in the photos, water would tend to accumulate there for a while. I don't think its a big deal if there are no other obvious issues.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

It appears that your gutters are fastened with long aluminum spikes. (I can see the head of one of the spikes in your photo.)

Do you see staining at the locations of those heads? If so, when your gutters fill with water, it will leak thru those holes and flow down the exterior of the gutters resulting in what you are seeing.

You can seal those spike penetrations with caulk.

• HU-757621501
    3 years ago

I was hoping someone had an easy fix🤔

I have an outside corner at the side (East facing) and front of my Garage and it appears I have a similar problem. Sometimes here in north Idaho on a cold blue sky day the east side gutter appears to ”sweat“ Condensate and collect on the bottom of the gutter/facia trim where it travels to the os corner and promptly drips on the Steepest section of side walk below, freezes and waits for UPS/FedX delivery man!😳 $$. I thought about bending some #8 copper wire around the gutter/facia profile attach a chain to usher water to rock covered flower bed below? This sounds like a labor intensive solution to me but cheaper than a homerowner’s claim! Oh the riggers of home ownership! Maybe it’s time to look into a townhome? Any ideas?? About the drip that is.....?

• babeboomer48
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

To David314 or anybody else with this problem----

Did you ever find the cause and cure for this as I have the same problem and have had Leaf Filter out 3 times because they have a warranty for lifetime to come out if gutters are leaking? The 2nd time, the guy even put an "apron skirt" on along the outside of the gutter because we thought the rain was coming off the house roof, landing onto the polycarbonate deck roof, then bouncing backwards towards the gutter and thence landing on the deck below. But it is the entire length of the gutter doing this? And, nothing has stopped it, yet.

• HU-911746255
    3 years ago

I have the same problem, water condensates on The outside of all my metal Gutters. They are new, will painting them stop this, or is there something else that can be done? I live in Hawaii, warm climate

• HU-706009488
    2 years ago

When it rains, the water collected in the gutter is directed to down spouts. The water dripping from the bottom of the gutters ( underneath) is due to evaporation collecting on the cold metal.

The evaporated water forms water drops dripping due to gravity!!

• HU-331254788
    2 years ago

I'm experiencing the same problem and best I can tell is it's not caused by evaporation, gutters leaking or condensation (since gutters are typically around the same temp. as the air surrounding them, condensation might be evidence of an additional problem since that warm air condensing on the gutter surface has to come from somewhere like soffit vents, or maybe it's just from a nearby dryer vent). I only notice the drips when it's actively raining which makes me lean toward the cause being the random raindrops that catch the front lip of the gutter and track down the face especially since the drips increased when the front lip that's usually back angled a bit toward the inside of my gutters got pushed out when I installed new gutter hangers so now any rain contacting the upper flat surface of the gutter tends to run down the face instead of back into the gutter.