Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breakaway Rain Gutters?

Posted by kbolster (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 19:57

Hello,

We have a cape cod style home and have ice issues. We have insulated as much as we can in the attic and just have to deal w/ the fact that we have major melt and ice buildup in the winter. We live in Syracuse, NY so we get a TON of snow.

Two years ago our front seamless gutters ripped off the roof due to the weight of the ice, this year the back gutters did the same ripping up the fascia and bending up the drip edge (we'll have to fix that but not sure what direction to take).

We're thinking traditional gutters will not work, they'll just keep pulling off and wrecking the fascia/drip edge, not to mention the help create ice buildup in the winter. I've thought of rainhandler (www.rainhandler.com) but am not sold on it.

Is there a product that is a "breakaway" gutter? One that is either a clip or an actual gutter that just flops down under a certain weight so as to not rip out of the fascia? The same idea as a breakaway rim? This would be great for us. I can find a link to a patent for such a gutter online from 1998 but can't find anything that is actually available to purchase? Does anyone know of anything like this or anything we could do ourselves that would help us out?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breakaway Rain Gutters?

Would it be easier to install the heating coils to melt the ice?

We have not used them, but I saw several of them up in PA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here