Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door closing - awful noise

Posted by threedgrad (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 19:55

I am thinking I need to grease the metal rails but not sure. What kind of grease or oil do you use? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door closing - awful noise

An "awful" noise might indicate a problem more severe than just a lack of lubrication. You might want to disconnect the opener (if necessary) and open/close the door by hand to see if you an identify the sounce of the trouble.

As a quick fix you try a little spray lubricant (WD-40, etc.). Those types of products don't offer a lot in the way of long term lubrication but it should give you an indication if lubrication will fix the problem. If it does, visit your local bicycle shop. They'll have lubricants for bike chains that won't attract dirt.

Mike

o

threedgrad, mine sounds like an airplane taking off - YES, it is that loud. I found some garage door opener spray lube and it didn't do a single thing. Good thing I'm moving this week as I don't know if the loud noise means failure or what.

o

I just had a new garage door hung about 6 months ago although I kept the original opener. I replaced the broken wood door with an insulated steel door. I will try using the WD-40 to start with. Thanks.

Good luck Lisa on your move. I, too, will be moving in a few months. It's a HUGE project getting the house ready for sale, packing, clearing out clutter, moving 9 animals and me across the country.

o

I've just joined. We've lived in our home for 23 years and added on 1200 ft2 to our existing ranch (did the work ourselves).

We fix our noisy garage door opener with white lithium grease. It was recommended by our local garage door company. It comes in a tube, is very thick, but does the trick. Local hardware stores carry it. We especially have noise in the winter. (Ohio)

Hope that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here