Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Get A Perfect Level and Even Wall Patch

Posted by chipster_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 19:07

I have completed the large wall patch( thanks brickeyee and christophern) and am now ready to sand it smooth and level but I don't know the best way to accomplish this. I want this patch to be as LEVEL AND EVEN as the existing wall around it. I tried to apply the patching compound as evenly as possible. Are there any special techniques, or tools to accomplish this? I want this wall to look flawless. Any suggestions welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Get A Perfect Level and Even Wall Patch

Practice and experience.

o
RE: How to Get A Perfect Level and Even Wall Patch

I did not see their advice on hown to dom the patch. Doing a large patch(over 5" or so means four tape lines.

That means four lines of raised material which will mstand out if incorrectly done.

You cannot get perfectly flat, because you added tape and drywall compound.

What the pros do is to widen that added material and feather the two edges.

Example:

Drywall tape is a couple inches wide. To feather that so the result is less noticeable, you need to widen the 2" to about 12" by adding and sanding about 6" of material on each side.

Doing that takes practice. LOTS of practice generally.

The keys to success are:

Add only small amounts of mud in thin layers as smoothly as possible.

Sand as little as possible off. Sanding too much exposes the tape.

When adding mud, fill the knife and apply. Clean off the kinfe and use it to remove the excess. Clean the knife on every removal stroke. With practice, the procedure will be apply and clean with two strokes.

Use a 6" knife for the first application, a 10" for the second and a 12" for the last.

Sand parallel to the tape.

Use a good drywall primer before painting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here