Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Snow' shoes for walking on S-tile concrete roof?

Posted by fixizin (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 18:49

DATELINE: Fort Lauderdale - the concrete S-tile roof I had installed in 2003 needs its first pressure cleaning. (Not only does the black mildew look bad, it increases my A/C load/costs!)

Though poured without mesh, these tiles are tough, and rest in a bed of epoxy foam. The danger in walking on them is not so much cracking the tiles (though the probability IS higher than with the flat Bermuda-style tiles), but rather that the edges and corners of tiles (or hardened epoxy patties) might dig into the hot-mopped asphalt and felt forming the underlayment. Leaks follow.

SO... I'm thinking I should strap some egg-crate foam onto the soles of my work boots, to spread the load and soften my stride, or maybe even cut the tails off some real snowshoes, and foam them up, LOL. Not sure how such a jury-rig would perform when WET...? OTOH, if someone already makes some "moon booties", that strap-on in the manner of ice crampons, I might pay a few bucks for those.

Anyone ever see such a goofy accessory? Should I file a patent? ;')

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Snow' shoes for walking on S-tile concrete roof?

A quick search shows that most recommendations are simply soft-soled, non-slip shoes. Nothing about "spreading the load". I'd think it may be more dangerous (more likely to fall) with large flat snow-shoe type footwear.

o
RE: 'Snow' shoes for walking on S-tile concrete roof?

Have you ever thought of using a product called spray and foget? I am going to purchase some to clean my stucco house. You just spray it on and it kills and removes the alge and mold. It comes in a bottle with a sprayer for roofs that reaches 20ft. I haven't used it yet but from the testomonials it supposed to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: spray and forget.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here