Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-attaching soap dish on tile shower wall

Posted by ljbrandt (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 18:35

I've done this once before using a modified latex thin-set mortar, but it fell off again yesterday (about 2yrs later). I've decided to use either a construction adhesive or epoxy to re-mount the soap dish back to the wall...as you can see from the pictures, the thin-set is still in the wall and there isn't much room for much product.

My question is, which product will work best in this application, construction adhesive (liquid nails, loctite power grab etc. or epoxy, i.e. jb weld).

I will be using 100% silicone to seal around the soap dish once it is re-fastened to the shower wall.

photo IMG_0017-2_zpsc5a6eb32.jpg

photo IMG_0018-2_zps246f3cdb.jpg

photo IMG_0019-2_zpscf97befc.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-attaching soap dish on tile shower wall

If the backerboard is in good shape, I'd clean it well, the back of the soap dish, too, and use an application of Exterior Grade Liquid Nails.
It will never be more secure than the backer board that it's attached to.

o

I would rough up the backer with a grinder (or just put some notches in it), then use thinset one more time. You'll have more surface area that way, and it will be "cleaner" so the thinset adheres. I'd probably replace the soapdish, too, since they're cheap and will give you a clean surface w/ more space for the thinset.

After it cures, seal the perimeter with adhesive caulk.

This post was edited by homebound on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 9:34

o

Just wanted to follow up and share a solution that worked for me...Loctite 'PL Premium' construction adhesive did the trick. After 24hrs cure time, i pulled on the soap dish to see how it would hold and it didn't budge - in fact, I could even see the tile wall bend from pulling on the soap dish! I think the PL premium it the fastest way to go...it might even be stronger than the thinset method!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here