Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_cat2

Replacing exterior wood trim

red_cat2
15 years ago

I need to replace some rotting exterior wood trim. This is the second time I have had to do this since moving to my home and I am concerned this will be a continued problem. I had a suggestion from my brother to use pre-primed cedar. I asked a contractor about doing this and he suggested PVC board. I have never heard of this stuff, so I don't know if its a good idea. How well would it blend with the wood that I am not replacing? Does it hold up well? Does it look good? What is a better choice cedar or the PVC?

Comments (8)

• handymac
    15 years ago

PVC boards are simply the same (similar) plastic used in pipe molded into boards. Paintable and rot proof. As for the match, that depends on the existing boards, but the match would probably be better than the cedar.

• brusso
    15 years ago

PVC sometimes wont match an existing piece. For example, if you are changing out a sill nose that is wood, a PVC sill nose only fits a PVC sill!!! Beats me why they dont make them the same but they aren't.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

You can also use Hardiplank (and other similar cement based products).

• fandlil
    15 years ago

Why does it rot in the first place? If water is getting inside, maybe you have flashing that was not installed right.

• rredogg
    15 years ago

haus,

Before hanging the exterior trim (brickmolding) I paint/seal the bottom of the trim so water does not wick in. Also I have the trim resting a 1/8 or 1/4 inch off the stoop and seal it on the exterior side with caulk.

Just my two cents, rredogg

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

Dip end grain exterior trim into Minwax wood hardener.
    It is plastic resin dissolved in solvent.
    It wicks up into the end grain and hardens, preventing moisture from entering the same way.

• drywall_diy_guy
    15 years ago

I replaced my brickmolding with PVC. It will never rot and painted looks identical to the previous trim. Still, I need to touch up and inspect around the brick molding every year or two since mine gets the full force of the weather.

If I could, I would use the modern J-trim around my windows. This is weather-proof and maintenance free. But my old lap siding is too thick for this product.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    15 years ago

Take a look at Azek (dot com). They have a large variety of products available and it's top quality. It's also not inexpensive and it installs a little differently than wood so read the directions.

Good luck!