Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Garage Door Opener -- Lightning surge

Posted by HappyHomeowner (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 17:50

Can anyone confirm that I need to replace the receiver/logic board ... and that the motor is probably OK?

I have two 1/2 hp Craftsman openers (#139.53975SRT1) and both have identical symptoms. Following a lightning storm neither opener will open or close the door. (Other appliances in the house were also damaged by the storm.) Pressing the button on the control console activates the relay on the opener, the opener light turns on, but the motor does operate (not even a humming noise). The amber LED on the opener (near the SRT button) flashes 5 times and repeats. I power cycled the opener and am sure the motor isn't overheated.

I briefly connected a jumper wire between the incoming line voltage (black) and the blue capacitor lead; the motor operated as long as the jumper was connected. Ditto for the red capacitor lead. With the motor disconnected, I measured the resistance between the red and blue leads; it was ~7.4 ohms; the resistance between each colored lead and the white lead was half that. So far, so good. It appears that the motor is good and that the culprit is the logic board.

HOWEVER, I also measured the resistance between each motor lead and the case. There was no continuity from the blue lead to the case, but I measured (only) tens of ohms from the red and white leads to the case. That doesn't seem right. Does that indicate a problem with the motor?

A couple of other (extraneous?) observations: The green LED on the control console is lit, as is the orange LED on the safety sensor transmitter. However, the green LED on the safety sensor receiver is not lit.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Door Opener -- Lightning surge

Unfortunately lightening strikes and power surges love logic boards. I have never heard of it getting to the motor. The only sure way to troubleshoot the logic board is replacement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here