Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door Problem

Posted by rabbit8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 17:25

recently I've been showering with the bathroom door closed (its a hollow door) and now I'm unable to close the door without pushing hard. It seems to to get stuck and it's hard to open without pulling real hard on it. How can I fix this problem? Thank you in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door Problem

The door has swelled due to excess moisture being absorbed into the wood. The bath fan is absent or not on long enough and/or the door tops and bottoms have never been painted to keep the moisture out.
Two options are available.
1. Cut the door so it fits correctly at this time. Then paint all the sides of the door.
2. Wait until December when the heat is on and the door dries out and shrinks. Then paint all sides of the door to keep it from swelling this time next year.
Ron

o

You may be able to adjust it, see where it is binding. Sometimes you can adjust a door by taking a longer screw and pulling the door casing into the stud. Remove a screw from the hinge and use that opening to put in a longer screw. Remove a screw that is farthest from the door to ensure that you hit a stud. If its a small area that is binding you can also sand that area on the door to eliminate the binding. Prime the bare wood after its sanded.

o

I'm the lady with the door problem. Thanks so much for your help. I tried the sand paper first and it worked. I need to know if I can seal the part I sand with varnish or what kind of paint to keep the moistrue out? These is no fan in in hall bathroom.

Thank you so much for helping me.

o

yes you can use varnish. remember that the varnish will add thickness so sand enough to accommodate the varnish. A little extra sanding will take care of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here