Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat Urine Damage to 3 Stud Corners

Posted by thapranksta (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 17:15

Hi,

I purchased a home about 10 months ago. The home is in really good condition but has had one major problem. The previous owner had a major issue with cat urination which is widely known to cause smells don't typically don't leave without removal of the soiled area. There are a couple of rooms in the home that have been taken through the ringer as far as damage to the subfloors and the drywall. After removing baseboards and pulling quite a bit of the drywall off, I discovered that the urine had soaked through to many of the studs, some of which are in the corner in a 3 stud configuration. There are also areas of the "sole plates" damaged as well.

Now I have some basic questions: Should only the bottom portion of the studs need to be replaced? Is this work I can attempt to do myself considering I have no prior experience with framing? If so, what are the recommended techniques especially for the 3 stud corner? If it is recommended I hire a contractor, what range can I expect the cost to fall in?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat Urine Damage to 3 Stud Corners

If you already have the bad areas exposed, hit them with a couple coats of BIN( letting the first coat dry over night)

o

BIN or Kilz will work as well

o

Kilz did not work. I have not tried the BIN stuff.

o

If you use a cleaner or enzyme before trying BIN, is there any possibility of rot or other damage by oversaturating the wood?

o

Just let it dry over night and you will be fine.

Kilz OIL might work but Bin WILL work.

Put a fan on it over night if it will make you feel better

o

If you say it will be fine, I will take your word for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here