Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! 5 ft Crack in Foundation!!

Posted by msgreatdeals (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 16:31

Hello...I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel and discovered we have a 5 ft crack in the foundation going from a corner to the wood subfloor. It's about 1/2" wide. Going to add a picture here. Can anyone recommend someone in the Venura/LA county area to repair this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! 5 ft Crack in Foundation!!

was the tile on top of it cracked too? if not, how long had the tile been down? if the tile was there for a few years and had not cracked, then odds are that whatever settling caused it has finished.

call aroudn and check with several foundation repair places near you. get multiple quotes and see what you want to do. don't be surprised if they say you don't need to do anything, nor if they say you are looking at 50k to fix it, cause it can be anywhere between those 2 extremes!

o

I think the settling has finished but can't say for 100%. I think we are going to try the epoxy fix first and take it from there. Would like to hear from anyone that has done epoxy. We will have a licensed contractor do it.

o

If you plan to retile you will need a crack membrane. Comes in rolls.

o

We have had two foundation cracks repaired by epoxy inection. One 5 foot crack on an unfinished wall in the basement, and one eight foot crack behind a finished wall in a different part of the basement. We had the first crack repaired about 1 1/2 years ago. The crack went on an angle from the bottom edge of one of our window wells to the floor. When we had heavy rains water would run in a stream from the crack, along the floor, to the floor drain which was only about 5 feet away. It hasn't leaked since the repair, and this spring has been extemely wet. That is why we had them come out and repair the other crack when we had water in the finish part of the basement this spring. I wanted something I could trust since I had to tear down a wall, and then replace it. And I hate doing drywall! We used Permaseal. But I think they are only in Illinois and Indiana.

Joanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here