Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insect buzzing in wall or attic

Posted by timtex (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 16:19

Hopefully I am in the right forum. We moved into a new house 6 months ago. Within the last month I've been hearing a loud buzzing noise inside the wall of our front room, which is the study. It's so loud it sounds like the insect is inside the room, such as when a fly gets in and buzzes loudly against the window. It almost sounds like it's trying to pack or beat something down, and then it stops for a minute or two, then comes back. The location is in the upper part of the wall, on the front corner of the house. It also seems worse later in the day when the sun is shining there. I had a pest control company come out this morning, and the lady was as nice as she could be, but she told me she had only been in her job for a year, and she was mystified as to what I could be hearing. But what was really embarrassing is that the buzzing ceased (of course) the whole time she was here, even though it was doing it earlier. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this, or if there is someone in the business who has come across it before. It's definitely some kind of flying insect, and I should also add that I live in Fort Worth, Texas. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insect buzzing in wall or attic

Just a guess, but take a look outside where the roof meets the walls and gutters, especially the corner. There may be an entry point and you might have a huge nest in the wall (eg. behind your siding). We had one large enough that were getting into the basement until I figured it out. Good luck.

o

I'm with homebound; sounds like you may have a hive of bees or wasps inside the wall. I know bees bring in water, and fan their wings to evaporate it to cool the hive in hot weather, which seems to fit your observations. They can get through the tiniest inconspicuous crevice.

Get a more experienced pest control rep out.

o

An insect infestation in your attic is likely to be caused by them attacking something stored in your loft such as food, textiles or wood. You have to call an exterminator for that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here