Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timtex

Insect buzzing in wall or attic

timtex
9 years ago

Hopefully I am in the right forum. We moved into a new house 6 months ago. Within the last month I've been hearing a loud buzzing noise inside the wall of our front room, which is the study. It's so loud it sounds like the insect is inside the room, such as when a fly gets in and buzzes loudly against the window. It almost sounds like it's trying to pack or beat something down, and then it stops for a minute or two, then comes back. The location is in the upper part of the wall, on the front corner of the house. It also seems worse later in the day when the sun is shining there. I had a pest control company come out this morning, and the lady was as nice as she could be, but she told me she had only been in her job for a year, and she was mystified as to what I could be hearing. But what was really embarrassing is that the buzzing ceased (of course) the whole time she was here, even though it was doing it earlier. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this, or if there is someone in the business who has come across it before. It's definitely some kind of flying insect, and I should also add that I live in Fort Worth, Texas. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• homebound
    9 years ago

Just a guess, but take a look outside where the roof meets the walls and gutters, especially the corner. There may be an entry point and you might have a huge nest in the wall (eg. behind your siding). We had one large enough that were getting into the basement until I figured it out. Good luck.

• airqual_guy
    9 years ago

I'm with homebound; sounds like you may have a hive of bees or wasps inside the wall. I know bees bring in water, and fan their wings to evaporate it to cool the hive in hot weather, which seems to fit your observations. They can get through the tiniest inconspicuous crevice.

Get a more experienced pest control rep out.

• manuelgalvezferri
    9 years ago

An insect infestation in your attic is likely to be caused by them attacking something stored in your loft such as food, textiles or wood. You have to call an exterminator for that.

• Laura Warren-ward
    6 years ago

Same thing going on in my wall last couple weeks!!

• brunilda bermudez
    4 years ago

I have a comment for that buzzin..there in my room as well if you turn on your cell phone flashlight you will see these tiny flies flying around the light they’re looking to get in your ear nose and eyes they come from garbage cans and anywhere there is moisture outdoors I started feeling and seeing them around my eyes when watching tv.you can hear them swarm it’s very annoyin.i live in Florida

• HU-215201360
    4 years ago

To the sound of buzzing in walls/ceiling. I'm experiencing the exact same. I see no one has mentioned that it could be a squirrel or cat w/ kittens or rat that died up there and it's flies. AND FLIES CAN KEEP COMING BACK TO THE HOST EVEN AFTER 20 YEARS. i KNOW THAT BECAUSE i HAD A STUFFED TURTLE WE HAD BOUGHT IN MEXICO AND ONE DAY 20 YRS AFTER i WAS DUSTING AND NOTICED SOME WHITE WORM THINGS LAYING AROUND IT AND PICKED IT UP AND YOU CAN GUESS THE REST. jUST SAYING.

• HU-483178586
    3 years ago

How did you solve this problem,please

• HU-483178586
    3 years ago

Have the same problem,please help

• Harrison B
    2 years ago

Just had this exact thing happen in daughters bedroom, it was loud enough it woke her up and you could hear in the hallway. I went in the attic trying to figure it out. ended up being a common housefly stuck inside the can light fixture. buzzing to get out and echoing. Sounded much bigger.