Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob08889

Andersen French Door Latch Problem

Bob08889
11 years ago

I have a 2 panel (active/passive) Andersen french door (outswing). Previously I was able to close the door by pushing the active door (the one with the latch) toward the fixed passive door. The latch caught the strike plate nicely and the door closed without having to engage the 3-point lock. Now the door bounces off the passive door and will not engage (though it will still lock if the 3-point lock is engaged). The doors are square and level. The issue it that there is some amount of play in the lock mechanism which allows the door handle to droop somewhat and pull the latch from 100% extended (where it will catch) to 75% extended (were it does not engage the strike plate). Anyone kow how to make an adjustment to get the latch back to 100% extended. I also note that the handle feel is not tight/firm (like a German car door) and is more floppy/loose (like an old AMC Hornet). There's got to be a solution short of replacing the lock mechanism (part of a $190 single piece unit). Ideas? Thanks.

Comments (24)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

What your describing does not make sense to me, if you could possibly post pictures or a better description I or someone else may be able to help you.

• Bob08889
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A normally functioning Andersen french door has 16/32 of an inch of latch protruding from the active door. This is amount of latch is crucial for engaging (locking on to) the passive door. My door has 11/32 of latch protruding from the active door and when the active door is pushed closed it is inadequate to grab on to the the lock plate of the passive door. The question is how to adjust the latch to fully extend, and grab on to, the latch plate.

• Bob08889
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forget it, just talked to Andersen. They are sending me a new latch/lock set under warranty. Nice warranty on those doors, 10 years no questions asked. Sweet.

• kashmi
    11 years ago

We've had the same problem (same doors, about 5 years old) with the same resolution: Anderson providing new parts. We even paid for an Anderson installer to put them in so everything would be done correctly. The door worked like a dream for three or four months. Now it's back to its old tricks, of not latching when the active door is pushed shut. We have to lift the handle to engage the mechanism.

Apparently Anderson knows there is an ongoing problem with these French doors, but can't seem to provide a good, permanent fix. Hopefully your mileage will vary!

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Andersen has stood by their product like that for years, even when there was no warranty.

• Donna Flaherty
    8 years ago

I have the same problem with my Andersen door. The latch won't engage unless the handle is raised and even then, sometimes it can be pushed open. In addition when I lock it it's very difficult to unlock. My dog wanted to go out the other night at 2am and I could not get the door unlocked so I had to lift him out the side window:)

• Christopher Krueger
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have searched high and low. I disassembled the door latch mechanism and the latch spring has failed (broken from corrosion). $200.00 to replace a $0.79 latch spring. NOT HAPPY!!

• HU-220364186
    5 years ago

I also have the same problem as Christopher. I disassembled the lock mechanism of my 28 year old Andersen French Door and found that the small spring that forces the latch to protrude has broken. Called Andersen and their solution is to replace the entire locking mechanism for over $200. Other than that tiny spring being broken, the door works fine and I can't find a replacement spring anywhere. ALSO NOT HAPPY.

• DavidR
    5 years ago

Any decent hardware store will have a good selection of springs in various sizes.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"Any decent hardware store will have a good selection of springs in various sizes."

Or a locksmith as Andersen locks are not that unique......................

• HU-785160164
    4 years ago

I had the same problem. A broken torsion spring. I called Andersen and they said they don’t sell the springs. Even though I said I already took the lock apart by drilling the rivets out and retrieved the broken spring. Their only option was to pay $200 for a new actuator since I was 2 years out of warranty. I called every hardware store and locksmith in the SF area. No luck. NOBODY carries torsion springs any longer. Even online stores like Grainger didn’t carry a suitable replacement. I looked for hours online. One person on eBay had it for $25, ouch. Probably a former Andersen employee. With no choice I bought it. Installed it, spot welded the mortised case back together and now it works again. I suggest Andersen redesign the lock to allow repairs to the springs, since the springs can easily break as I discovered searching in forums regarding this issue.

My next window or door purchase will NOT be Andersen.

• HU-103679494
    4 years ago

Bought replacement torsion spring on eBay, now where exactly does it go. Any help greatly appreciated

• vabluecrab
    4 years ago

I had the same problem with my Anderson hinged patio door. The door was installed in our house in 2005. In 2012 the lock mechanism broke. It was under a 10 year warranty so Anderson sent me a new part. 7 years later I have the same problem again. Anderson will not warranty the replacement part. The replacement part is $181!! I have over 60 Anderson windows and doors in my house. I have been very pleased with their warranties and quality. My house has gone through a hurricane and a tornado and my windows and doors held up remarkably well. I'm shocked they are digging their heals in and not warrantying the replacement part.

• DavidR
    4 years ago

I'm not familiar with those doors, so this is just off the top of my head. Would it be possible to drill the door for a standard lockset from the hardware store? It might not look as nice as the factory latch, but given the price differential, it might be worth it if it's possible.

• vabluecrab
    4 years ago

That's a good idea, but these doors have a unique latching system. They close like regular doors, but to get a tight seal and lock the door

, you pull up on the handle and a "spike" comes out from the bottom edge and catches in the jam.

• Andy Crosier
    4 years ago

No where have I read how to stop an Anderson lift door handle from coming loose on its shaft repeatedly. What I found, just recently after fighting it for months is that the shaft goes through a rubber gasket which is under the door plate. This gasket breaks down and the rubber debris allows the handle set screw to slide on the shaft. Remove handle and dry clean the grove (which is tapered unfortunately) clean the shaft really well and the set screw will hold much longer.

• Peter Rant
    3 years ago

You have shell out the money and buy the whole new mechanism. Opening the latch case is like Fort Knox. Planned obsolesce.

• Patrick Loshek
    3 years ago

HU-785160164 would post the part number you found?

• jon mcclure
    2 years ago

There is a round quarter sized 3 coil spring that keeps tension on the door strike that engages it to full potential. and also keeps handle tight. " it is broken". Very simple repair if you can find one. I've searched, and I've spoken with Andersen and they do not sell that spring alone. I tack welded mine, it works now, but not as good as before.

• HU-741928541
    2 years ago

i can't believe this is such a big problem still and no way to fix it... just buy new they say. I'm wondering if there are any 3rd party handles out there compatible with this system.

• Scott Bowen
    2 years ago

3 doors, 3 broken lock mechanisms. Andersen replaced the first under warranty. When the same mechanism broke again 3 years later, they said they don't have a warranty on warranty replacements. WTF? At the cost of their products, they should at the very least replace a part that is only 3 years old instead of telling me to pay them another $200. DONE WITH ANDERSEN, NO MORE.

• C DiPierro
    last year

Same doors. Same problems with not latching. Disappointed with Anderson.

• HU-131537873
    7 months ago

*sigh* i have this problem too.