Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
circe_invidiosa

Building up a fence 2' or hotwiring the top of a fence

circe_invidiosa
15 years ago

So I'm interested in adopting a rather large rescue dog. I've been told by the rescue group that a 6' fence is a must. I've got 2 sides of 6' privacy fence and two sides of 4' chain link. The rescuer suggested that I either build up the chain link fencing by 2' or hot wiring the top of the chain link fence.

Questions - how easy is it to build up the fence height, and how would I do this?

How expensive would it be for me to hot wire the top of the two sides, estimating about 100-150' of fencing.

Any input wold be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Build it up... would you want to run into a hotwired fence?

• User
    15 years ago

I extended the posts on a 42" chain link fence to 48" by using top rail butt connectors---or cutting 6" long pieces of top rail, inserting the piece into the post 3" and drilling three screw holes around the outside through the post and the piece of top rail. I then screwed 3/4" long metal screws in the holes(about a #8 screw). Then cut post sections to the required height and repeated the process. The fence on which I did that was 6 years old(the new height part) and sturdy as when first done.

• shadetree_bob
    15 years ago

Hot wiring the top may be the cheaper way to go, however if you or you wife or kids or neighbors ever accidently touch it, it will definitely get your attention. kinda like sticking your finger in a lamp socket so I'v been told. One thing about the hot fence once the dog gets to respecting it you don't have to leave it on all the time, just enough to keep his respect fresh. Seriously an electric fence is NOT a good idea for your back yard. These things are designed to keep LARGE animals like cows penned in. Also anyone with a weak heart can have serious problems contacting it. It can stop a pace maker also.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

home use electric fences are different from ag use electric fences. they still sting, but won't seriously injure you. heck, even teh fences for horses won't injure you but they will make you injure yourself.

personally i would extend the fence first. if the animal still gets out, then add in the electric wire along the top and/or bottom. i had a black lab that would climb a 6 ft fence in no time. i could shut the gate on him, turn to go to the house, and he would beat me to the door! when i fixed it so he could not go over, he dug under, after i fixed THAT he went thru the fence. only had 1 other dog that could do that, chew thru a chain link fence, but it does happen. another lab we had would jump any fence under 5ft. funny to see a 95+ pound dog clear a 48" fence, i mean he would never even touch it.

• housenewbie
    15 years ago

Why not try the invisible fence, where the wire is buried and the shock comes from the collar? It works on my neighbor's dog, who always liked to come into our yard and run all over town. (Golden lab)

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

A large dog may be capable of simply jumping over the shorter fence.

Even if they touched an electric section top they would not feel anything since they would not be touching the earth to complete the circuit.

Even a Lab can easily top a 4 foot fence with just a little desire to go over.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

I had a neighbor who hot wired a 4' fence....for her daughter. I'm not naming names, but someone turned her ass in!