Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl Siding Mounting Block Problem

Posted by Rick419 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 15:34

I have vinyl siding, and only the spout and handle of my hose bib extend thru the split wall block that surrounds it. The hose bib needs to be replaced, as I'm told the parts to fix it (washer is bad and head of valve stem is rounded so that handle no longer turns off completely) are not available (it's old).
Is there a way to open that split wall block without undoing all the siding that surrounds it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl Siding Mounting Block Problem

The hose bib should be a non freezing design, meaning the entire piece is at least 12" long. The connection to the pipe should be on the inside of the wall and the mounting flange on the outside.

Turn off the house water, disconnect the pipe from the hose bib inside the wall, remove the mounting screws and pull out the entire hose bib assembly. Get the proper length replacement and reverse the disassembly steps to reinstall.

Just remember to tilt the new assembly with the spout down to drain out the water when the faucet is turned off.

o
RE: Vinyl Siding Mounting Block Problem

Even if the piece doesn't extend all the way inside, you can cut the pipe on the inside and insert a hose bib with a pipe extension connected to it through the wall and use a coupling to complete it as suggested by handymac.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here