Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metal roof install botched

Posted by busboy (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 15:18

A friend has just had her metal roof replaced due to hail damage. ($34,000) The roof is installed on sheathing. The installation has left dimples everywhere screws were installed. I contend that the screws should have been installed with a drill that would limit the torque to prevent this. Am I correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metal roof install botched

pictures would be the way for us to tell for certain, but you may be on the correct path.

o

Depth setting is more effective than torque setting.

o

we always put lathes and foam sheathing between lathes.
then screw metal to lathes.

o

Seeing that I have never seen a metal roof with dimples around the screws, this is clearly botched or an unconventional install.

I'd be expecting leaks around the seal of each screw in a relatively short time if I owned that roof.

o

Yes she is sick about it. I have advised her to contact her insurance adjuster. I would bet that they will probably have to sue the installer, probably to no avail, then cover the cost of another new roof. Thanks for the input folks. BTW I have not seen the roof, just some pictures.

o

There are probably manuals available online from the manufacturer for installation of the roofing panels. If not, for similar roofing panels. I bet they don't instruct you to torque the screws until the panel buckles. I think a suit would be a slam-dunk. The only question is does the installer have the $ to pay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here