Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't get these hanger bolts out

Posted by Miss_Yvonne (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 15:10

The previous owners of our house had a flat screen TV mounted over the fireplace with a mounting rack and four hanger bolts. We removed the rack and want to paint over the area where it was hung, but we can't figure out how to remove these bolts. We got them to start moving with a pipe wrench, but now they're just spinning and spinning without coming out any more. They're sunk into brick, but we have no idea how long they are. Any ideas on how to get these out, short of sawing them off?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't get these hanger bolts out

If you have a good-sized electric drill, tighten the chuck around the bolt and try to back them out with power.
Casey

o

I would grind them off, you can get closer than sawing.

o

It looks like the bolts are in an anchor---if that is spinning, there is little hope of getting the bolt removed.

You might try using a hammer to hit the bolts sideways/up/down/at all angles to loosen it in the brick. If that works, fill the holes with patching compound, smooth and paint.

If that does not work, cut them off and grind them flush with the brick and patch.

o

I'd bet what you have is one of these:

They don't come out very easily. As Handymac suggested, you can try tapping them which may break enough of the brick to loosen the anchor.

Frankly, it would be easier to grind them off and patch.

o

Cut them off and patch.

There is no way to remove them without damaging the wall (as in making a larger hole, often with a diamond coring bit).

o

try tapping the end toward the block there may enough depth in the drilled hole to loosen it.

o

"try tapping the end toward the block there may enough depth in the drilled hole to loosen it."

The anchored end is larger than the hole used to insert the bolt.

Cut them off and patch.

o

Thank you so much for the suggestions, everyone! I had someone doing exterior painting for me today and I had him come in and take a look. He just hammered at them until they snapped off and then banged the rest back into the brick. Now I just have to patch up the holes. So happy to have that resovled!

o

There are few things in life that can't be fixed with a big hammer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here