Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_yvonne

Can't get these hanger bolts out

Miss_Yvonne
11 years ago

The previous owners of our house had a flat screen TV mounted over the fireplace with a mounting rack and four hanger bolts. We removed the rack and want to paint over the area where it was hung, but we can't figure out how to remove these bolts. We got them to start moving with a pipe wrench, but now they're just spinning and spinning without coming out any more. They're sunk into brick, but we have no idea how long they are. Any ideas on how to get these out, short of sawing them off?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

If you have a good-sized electric drill, tighten the chuck around the bolt and try to back them out with power.
    Casey

• hendricus
    11 years ago

I would grind them off, you can get closer than sawing.

• User
    11 years ago

It looks like the bolts are in an anchor---if that is spinning, there is little hope of getting the bolt removed.

You might try using a hammer to hit the bolts sideways/up/down/at all angles to loosen it in the brick. If that works, fill the holes with patching compound, smooth and paint.

If that does not work, cut them off and grind them flush with the brick and patch.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

I'd bet what you have is one of these:
    {{!gwi}}

They don't come out very easily. As Handymac suggested, you can try tapping them which may break enough of the brick to loosen the anchor.

Frankly, it would be easier to grind them off and patch.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Cut them off and patch.

There is no way to remove them without damaging the wall (as in making a larger hole, often with a diamond coring bit).

• stash-hdy
    11 years ago

try tapping the end toward the block there may enough depth in the drilled hole to loosen it.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"try tapping the end toward the block there may enough depth in the drilled hole to loosen it."

The anchored end is larger than the hole used to insert the bolt.

Cut them off and patch.

• Miss_Yvonne
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the suggestions, everyone! I had someone doing exterior painting for me today and I had him come in and take a look. He just hammered at them until they snapped off and then banged the rest back into the brick. Now I just have to patch up the holes. So happy to have that resovled!

• sdello
    11 years ago

There are few things in life that can't be fixed with a big hammer.