Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Window in Brick Wall?

Posted by idie2live (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 14:52

Hello all. I have a brick veneer house that does not have any windows in the living room that face the street. There are 2 windows on the side facing north, but as you can imagine, it is usually pretty dark in there. This has bothered me for 38 years, but never enough to part with the money to change it. I recently retired and I may be spending more time in this room since it is the only public space in my house. The question - has anyone ever cut a hole in a brick wall to install or enlarge a window? Can it be done neatly and seamlessly? Can you even hope to be able to match old brick colors so it does not look like a patch job?

Here is a link that might be useful: New Window in Brick Wall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Window in Brick Wall?

Having trouble getting phots to work, uggghhhhh! Last try, if it doesn't work

Here is a link that might be useful: Try again

o

There are two issues with this installation. You need to install a brick lintel over the window to support the bricks above the window and you need to install a brick sill. What will stand out for a long while is the difference in mortar coloring from the old to the new.
Short answer is that it will look like a new installation. Because it is.
Ron

o

a skilled mason can do this work and make it look seamless. I've seen this done on walls where a truck drove into a brick wall and it was repaired and you cannot tell old from new. Ask a mason to show you photos of his work and don't hire one until you can see for yourself. We have substantial re bricking done around patio doors and you cannot see the old and new mortar lines.

o

We've had window sizes changed in our brick home and we had the skilled brick masons who matched the mortar perfectly to the existing. It can be done but you need the right masons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here