Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman opener model 139.53413

Posted by rosevillejohnson (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 13:53

I have an older Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener that recently stopped working. When I press the button to open the door, I hear the motor running, but the chain mechanism doesn't move. The motor runs for a while, then it stops for a second and starts running again. My guess is that the opener is so old that it will need to be replaced, but I thought that it might be worth asking whether there's some simple solution to the problem. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman opener model 139.53413

Take the cover off and I'm sure you will find the drive gear is stripped. It isn't all that hard to replace and the new gear comes with instructions. The part number is 41A2817.

o

Does this model use sensor/eyes (the kind that are mounted near the floor)?
How does it know to reverse itself if something obstructs closing it?

o

This model does not have door sensors. When the door meets an obstruction it stalls the motor, the logic board senses this and reverses the door to the open position. Because it doesn't have door sensors the manufacturer no longer supports it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here