Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking at a 1930's Dutch Colonial

Posted by ntl1991 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 13:21

There's a side-entry Dutch Colonial which was built in 1931 for sale in my neighborhood. It's back yard actually butts against the side of my land. I'm wondering what the chances are that it's balloon-framed and has knob and tube. I'm sure it has plaster walls, and it has steam heating, which I don't mind at all.

The house has newer vinyl windows (but without grilles, they look cheap and plain) and needs exterior work like paint, new fascia boards, and landscaping, but it seems quite solid. It's a 3-bed 1-bath with 1500 square feet.

I'm a bit nervous because my house is one of the newest on the block, being built in 1948, and I have platform framing, drywall, non-metallic sheathed wiring, and I feel a bit nervous of the older house after getting used to these "modern" building technologies.

The house has quite a large, almost full height, attic, (compared to my 3-story house which has no attic access, and most of the ceilings are cathedral) which would make for (relatively) easier rewiring of possible K&T, and maybe central air conditioning in the future...

What about plaster walls? I lived in a turn of the century duplex for the first half of my life with crumbly horse-hair plaster and the only possible option for wall coverings was wallpaper due to all the imperfections. Is it typical for a house of this vintage to have smooth plaster walls that can be painted? (I HATE wallpaper!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking at a 1930's Dutch Colonial

It would be easier to look at the house and ask the owners these questions. Then you could see if the walls are up to your specs.

o
RE: Looking at a 1930's Dutch Colonial

Paint over bumpy plaster is an acquired taste, much enjoyed by old house afficionados. You might enquire a bit, share the listing perhaps, at the Old House forum.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here